Are there any Elementary music teachers out there?

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
lbauman

Re: Are there any Elementary music teachers out there?

Post by lbauman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello from Alaska.
I have been teaching Elementary music for 29 years and this will be my first year truly using Kagan Structures. Last year we, the entire district, took Day 1.(January) I was really dragging my heels about using these structures in my class, from: the seating to silly games. I found myself overwhelmed with the "Change" I would have to deal with. I had my system and it was working well. I tried a few structures but my students could tell I wasn't buying into it. Fast forward to this year, I took Day 1 again and the district all took Day 2. We had great presenters (last year we did as well) but with Day 2, I found more ways to use this approach with music.

I meet with classes twice a week, for 30 mins also. Way to short of time to TEACH Kagan Structures every class period. The wonderful thing is, if all classroom teachers buy in and everyone is using common language as they introduce the structures, I will eventually only have to announce the structure, set the timer, give my goal and say "begin". I wouldn't have to take time to teach it. What I was fighting against last year was the idea that I alone would be teaching all of this. Not true, When every teacher in our building is using Kagan. It works.
Seating, I do not use table approach, I use carpet spot. So kids sit with shoulder partners. I couldn't grasp table for my group instruction. Once we add "recorders" or other xylophones, I can do a break out (off carpet) and have different seating. I used Rally robin today , (day 1 of school) for my normal rules routine. I had students rally robin "Items" found it the music room but not in their classrooms. Then we talked about the "Keep hands , feet and objects to yourself" rule.

I won't be able to follow the team building/classroom building schedule as taught in Day 2 , but I will be able to use common language as we Rally Robin or Stand-up Pair-up with music questions.

Good Luck, I am glad I am not the only music teacher wondering how to use Kagan. I hope to get to a Workshop soon to

Elia Chesnoff

Post by Elia Chesnoff » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:00 am

Have you seen the Cooperative Learning and Music book? My dear friend and colleague Christi Brown is one of the authors. I also recommend looking into her Music Workshop that is sometimes available at Disney. It is a superb way to connect with other passionate and talented music teachers. Finally, thanks for the work that you do to keep the arts alive in schools and for children.

priya31

Post by priya31 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 am

Excellent thread..!!!

sidd31

Post by sidd31 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:34 am

Excellent thread..!!!