Research on Teachers A, B & C

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
neylonk

Research on Teachers A, B & C

Post by neylonk » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:02 pm

I'm trying to show teachers why Teacher C is so much more successful with students (engagement & growth). What is the research showing that Teacher C has better test scores, more student engagement, etc?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Jeff Dane

Re: Research on Teachers A, B & C

Post by Jeff Dane » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:30 pm

There is research on the Kagan Website. As an educator and coach for 36 years, here is my two cents. In a Teacher A classroom, the teacher ends up working more than the teacher. Teacher C classroom the students work more than the teacher. We know from brain research, that verbalization increases internalization. As a coach, if I work more than the players, they will not improve. Kagan is about giving the work back to the students. Thanks

KaganMarketing

Re: Research on Teachers A, B & C

Post by KaganMarketing » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:40 am

Teacher A, B & C symbolize teachers who use Traditional Teaching, Group Work, and Cooperative Learning respectively. There is a great deal of research that shows that Cooperative Learning outperforms these other ways of teaching on a number of variables including test scores.

As Jeff’s post above mentions, the Kagan Website has some of that research freely accessible. From the homepage, click on Free Articles, then click on Research & Rationale. In this section you will find a long list of articles supporting the use of cooperative learning. These articles and their references are a great starting point.

Another great source is the book, Kagan Cooperative Learning. The book has a chapter devoted to the research on cooperative learning. Please see chapter 3: What Does the Research Say?

Hope this helps!

Miguel Kagan
Kagan Publishing & Professional Development