Cooperative Learning Research

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
nheckman

Cooperative Learning Research

Post by nheckman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:51 pm

I am currently researching Kagan Structures as a form of cooperative learning for my Master's action research project. I will be implementing 4-5 structures in a kindergarten class with many different needs. I specifically want to focus on my students with emotional disturbance and my lowest academically. Are there a few structures you would recommend? Thank you!

Bill Stater

Re: Cooperative Learning Research

Post by Bill Stater » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:13 pm

Love to hear that you applying these robust strategies towards your Master’s project! I’m sure your professors will find this incredibly valuable. To address students who struggle academically and who face challenges emotionally, I would consider some of the more basic structures. Below is a link to a wonderful article that identifies and discusses the “Essential 5” written by Gavin Clowes that I believe you find beneficial.

https://www.kaganonline.com/free_articl ... e-Learning
Additionally, to specifically address the needs of your students, I would also consider certain modifications to the structures to make them more accessible, such as pointing to their responses (RallyRobin or RoundRobin) or choosing their response(s) from a set manipulatives. I will also recommend the structure Takeoff-Touchdown as a way for students to show understanding/their response in a non-threatening way. Looking forward to hearing how it all goes. Best of luck!