Middle school performance based class (Orchestra)

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Wll11083

Middle school performance based class (Orchestra)

Post by Wll11083 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:16 pm

My school is trying to use Kagan school wide this year. Is there any strategies that someone would use in a instrumental performance based class to continue the students playing, while achieving PIES during the lesson? Any help is appreciated.

darenhrrs@gmail.com

Re: Middle school performance based class (Orchestra)

Post by darenhrrs@gmail.com » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:14 pm

There are structures you can use during your performance based class depending on how the class is structured from a practice standpoint. Often we see performance based classes use structures to practice/process difficult or new pieces of music to help improve whole group performance. I have provided a couple of examples below that help students to provide feedback on their own performance as well as their classmates.
If students practice in small section groups RallyCoach can be utilized to allow students to quickly work with a partner on a portion of the performance piece being studied to ensure the correct notes and proper instrument technique are being utilized. One partner tells the other the notes/accents verbally, then shows the proper instrument technique (i.e. finger placement for notes) the listening/observing partner verifies these are correct or provides coaching to help improve performance. Then students switch roles and repeat this process.
RoundRobin can be used fundamentally the same way, but with a team 3-5 students. One student plays a portion teammates listen, provide feedback and then a new student plays. The process is repeated until all students have performed a portion. A good closure is for students to play the practiced piece together.
If recording devices are used as a feedback tool in the classroom for playback so students can analyze positive aspects and improvement opportunities is another place for a structure. A portion is recorded then played back for students to listen to and analyze. After providing students the opportunity to think about what they heard and develop positives and improvement Timed Pair Share or Pair Share would allow students to share with a section partner their ideas. A good closure would be to call on students to hear ideas they shared or what their partner shared.
The great thing about performance based courses which have students work together to accomplish a task, like playing a piece of music, is they inherently have the PIES principles embedded in the nature of the course.
I hope these examples help you to begin to incorporate structures. Thank you for reaching out.
Take care
Daren Harris
Kagan Trainer