Equal participation with unequal preparation

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
mfreitag

Equal participation with unequal preparation

Post by mfreitag » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:30 am

Are there any good suggestions I can share with teachers about how to "save" a structure that relies on student preparation when one team member isn't prepared? For example, I observed a teacher doing "Pros and Cons" (which is great for high school social studies!). She mentioned that one group was struggling because the pro side was prepared to debate, but the con side had not done the prerequisite assignment. Is there a way to "save" the team, or is it best to move team members to other teams so they can still participate equally (and then what do you do with the student who wasn't prepared?). thank you!

KaganMarketing

Re: Equal participation with unequal preparation

Post by KaganMarketing » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:09 pm

One of the perks of the structure Pros-N-Cons is that all students will be talking about both perspectives of a topic. If a student comes unprepared, there are several things a teacher could do. They could reteach the information with a quick mini lesson. They could also buddy the unprepared student with a prepared student for the first round, making this a group of 3 with one person simply observing and listening. During that first round, the unprepared student will then hear both perspectives, which will allow them to then continue on their own during the following rounds of the structure. Thanks for your willingness to support students and teachers.

Rachel Treaster
Trainer and Coach
Kagan Publishing & Professional Development

mfreitag

Re: Equal participation with unequal preparation

Post by mfreitag » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:41 am

Thank you for the quick response! I'll share these ideas with my colleagues.