Mix Pair Share and Stand Up Hands Up Pair Up

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
proffrancais

Mix Pair Share and Stand Up Hands Up Pair Up

Post by proffrancais » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Hi, I am trying to figure out the difference in these two structures. I went to the five day beginner in Florence this summer and I am sure I was shown both, but now they seem to be exactly identical to me, and I was trying to explain some structures to a friend. and she thought I was doing the same thing twice and i feel like i am

Thanks

rickduvall

Re: Mix Pair Share and Stand Up Hands Up Pair Up

Post by rickduvall » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:13 am

Awesome question! It’s easy to get these structures confused in that both structures are classbuilding structures. Thusly, in both structures, students are standing up, mixing around the room, and interacting positively with another classmate who is not a table teammate.

StandUp-HandUp-PairUp is the easiest classbuilding structure to implement, and the one that I would use probably 90% of the time. The main purpose of using this structure is when you simply want students to work briefly with a random partner. Students quickly stand, raise a hand, and pair up with the closest hand they see who is not a table teammate.

Mix-Pair-Share is used when you see that your students truly need to be energized, so you have them mix (usually to music) for a while until you call “Pair”. They then raise a hand and pair up with the closest person to them at that moment who is not a table teammate.

The biggest difference is that students QUICKLY find a partner (no music) in StandUp-HandUp-PairUp, whereas they mix around a bit more before pairing in a Mix-Pair-Share. I hope this clarifies.