Think-pair share

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Darine

Think-pair share

Post by Darine » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:12 am

I’m working currently on my thesis and I’m working on think pair share I want to know the steps exactly with references please so I could mention it on the methodology

rickduvall

Re: Think-pair share

Post by rickduvall » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:44 pm

Great topic for some action research! Think-Pair-Share is NOT really a Kagan structure. It was developed originally by Dr. Frank Lyman and Arlene Mindus in 1977. You should be able to use a search engine to find the steps for multiple variations of Dr. Lyman’s strategies. I believe the crucial steps are as follows: 1) The teacher asks a question and provides think time with all students keeping their hands DOWN; 2) Teacher directs students of how to share their thinking with a partner; 3) Partners share according to teacher’s cue; 4) Teacher directs partners of how to share out their ideas with others.

People frequently assume that Think-Pair-Share is a Kagan structure. I think the confusion might stem from the similarity of the name to the Kagan structure Timed Pair Share. Kagan Cooperative Learning Structures always have PIES built into the steps of the structure.

Best wishes on your research! Think-Pair-Share is POWERFUL to teach students multiple ways to think about content, multiple ways to interact with a partner, and multiple ways to share their thinking with others!

Darine

Post by Darine » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:53 am

Thank you for ur reply,it is really useful,I would implement the kagan strategy time pair share.👍as it is a newly established teaching strategy 👌.i will be thankful if you provide me wth the steps.dr spencer kagan is responsible for this strategy???

rickduvall

Post by rickduvall » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:59 am

Darine:

You can find the steps for the structure, as well as all the basic structures, in chapter six of the Kagan Cooperative Learning textbook that you received at your Cooperative Learning Day 1 training. I am away from home at the moment and don’t have access to my book to give you a specific page number, but remember that they are all in alphabetical order in chapter 6, with each structure having its own two-page spread.

Also, in designing your research study, be sure to remember that structures are only one key to making cooperative learning work to more deeply engage students with content and to accelerate their achievement. It takes ALL seven keys that you experienced and took notes on in your training. While it sounds like you’re wanting to focus on just one structure for your research, be sure to utilize the other six keys, as structures in isolation likely won’t impact achievement greatly.

Best wishes as you complete your degree!