Win Win Discipline and Clip charts

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Andrea08

Win Win Discipline and Clip charts

Post by Andrea08 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:21 am

My district sent me this summer to WWD week long training with the expectation I implement the program this year. I am also being told to use a move up or down behavior clip chart. My gut tells me both are not a good idea...
Thoughts anyone??

rickduvall

Re: Win Win Discipline and Clip charts

Post by rickduvall » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:06 pm

Great question! First of all, I recommend following your district’s expectations. Remember that Win-Win Discipline doesn’t override or change existing rules and consequences. We use Win-Win Moment-of-Disruption structures and Progressive Follow-ups to help our students better internalize responsible thinking and responsible behaviors. I’m not familiar with what kind of clip charts your district uses. I recommend that, when implementing the charts, you keep in mind the three pillars of Win-Win Discipline: Same-Side, Collaborative Solutions, and Learned Responsibility. Will the charts be used as a form of public humiliation, thereby damaging the Same-Side relationship? If so, that’s not a Win-Win solution.

Can you come up with a way to make the chart a positive experience for you and your students, strengthening your relationship with your students? Will students collaborate with you on how to lessen the frequency of their clip being moved? Does the chart improve behavior so that students are learning responsibility and are less likely to disrupt in the future? If the answer to all three questions is YES, then it’s a Win-Win solution!

Andrea08

Post by Andrea08 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:22 am

Thank you Ricduvall for your quick response! My concern is the chart hangs in the classroom for everyone to see where each child is on the chart. I will maybe try to keep it behind my table so it is more private. I am very glad I decided to post, and would love more input!

rickduvall

Post by rickduvall » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:21 pm

That sounds wise! Let us know how it’s going and if we can support you.