Jot Thoughts

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
kelly_cowan

Jot Thoughts

Post by kelly_cowan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:32 am

Hello,

I will be teaching Jot Thoughts next week and I am struggling on how this meets all the PIES. It is the Individual Accountability and Equal Participation. Can anyone help me reason this out in my head?

Thanks
Kelly

TomFinegan

Re: Jot Thoughts

Post by TomFinegan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi Kelly
In Jot Thoughts, each student must perform in front of others by recording his or her idea on the slip of paper and placing it on the table. The answer must be shared verbally first before in can be recorded to make sure answers are not being duplicated. Since all students must perform in others in this fashion, individual accountability is present in the structure. Also, each student is given the same amount of turns by giving them the same number of slips. This ensures there will be equal participation. For example, if you were to ask for adjective to describe the main character in a story, each team member could have been given four slips of paper. Each team member must say an adjective, record the adjective, then place it on the table. Each student is required to get four adjective out on the table before the time runs out. Therefore, we have individual accountability and equal participation. I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Fin

rcdanio

Post by rcdanio » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Hi Kelly and Fin,

Another way I ensure the E of PIES is by asking all students to be continuously writing. I teach EAL and CLIL lessons, where students have wildly varying language skills. Jot Thoughts accommodates our differentiation needs by permitting each student to write more or fewer words according to her/his vocabulary. As each team is trying to cover the table, proficient speakers may even ask partners to write a new word while writing their own, adding natural coaching to the process. The limited time motivates the team members to keep each other on task. (I make sure they know some encouraging verbal gambits, rather than bossing each other.)

Elia Chesnoff

Post by Elia Chesnoff » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm

Another idea to increase the accountability is to have each team member record on a different colored post it. This makes it clear home many ideas each member shared. Equal participation in this case comes from time as well. Each students has the same amount of time to produce as many ideas as he or she can. To insure the participation is approximately equal, it is important to give students enough think time so all can individually generate some ideas.