KAGAN...Need Your Input

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Uenna
Location: https://diceus.com/offshore-software-de ... -benefits/

KAGAN...Need Your Input

Post by Uenna » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:29 am

Hello fellow teachers! I inhereted a Kagan Cooperative Learning Book and Course Binder from a retired teacher. I have heard great things about Kagan Strategies and I would love to implement this in my class in the upcoming year. I noticed that I have already used some Kagan strategies before without knowing they were Kagan strategies. Could you please help me by sharing with me your favorite Kagan Strategies as well as handouts you have maybe created for them? Also, what's the best way to implement/use the Kagan Strategies in the classroom? Your answers and any other insight is great appreciated. Thank you!

Dino

Re: KAGAN...Need Your Input

Post by Dino » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:26 am

I'm also interested in this!

Christi Brown

Post by Christi Brown » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:10 am

Congratulations on inheriting a CL course book and binder!
I would start with the section called "Structures" and focus on the steps for each structure. Kagan is truly CL because the four basic principles (PIES) are built into the steps. Teachers tend to "tweak" the steps, or use their own version, it might become group work and that will not have the same academic achievement as CL.

Whatever grade level or content you teach, no worries, just start with verbal Structures like RallyRobin, RoundRobin, and Timed Pair Share. The more students say, explain, or verbalize our content, the more they remember! YAY!

If the academic content is more aligned with practice, following steps, or procedures, then try RallyCoach. You don't even have to recreate handouts etc. For example, use the math worksheets from years before but structure the practice with RallyCoach.

In the textbook, chapter 6, page 24 (6.24), there is a chart listing all the structures but notice the functions across the top and you will see "Procedure Learning" (which is the example above) or "Knowledgebuilding" and "Thinking Skills" where students can verbalize various content.

Since the binder system has gone away years ago, and the textbook has been updated, perhaps finding a CL training in your area (tour event) or an Academy (summer - Orlando; winter - Dallas & Vegas) will help you explore through your own experience!
Hope to see you there!
Best of Luck,
~Christi

Christi Brown

Post by Christi Brown » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:15 am

Hi Uenna,

I just learned you are from The Netherlands!
I just got home from training Kagan trainers in Rotterdam! I absolutely love it there by the way.

Knowing this, finding an event in the U.S. is not valid advice.
But, I wanted you to know that The Netherlands has a Kagan franchise.
HCO, Bazalt, and RCPZ (depending on where you live) offer Kagan trainings.
Best Wishes,
~Christi