Grouping pull out students

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
marciavan

Grouping pull out students

Post by marciavan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:21 am

I have 3 students who are pulled out for special education services. One is only out for an hour, the other 2 are out for much of the day. How do I go about grouping them? If they are the low person in their group, then I will have 2 groups of 3 during math, but 3 groups without a low student. I will have 2 groups of 3 during reading and language, but one of the full groups will have an inactive student. (This student is ASD and rarely interacts appropriately.) If I put them all in a group together, then I will have one group of 1 inactive student during most of the day, except math. HELP! I want the groups to be successful and enjoy the activities, but working around these kiddos is kind of stressing me.

rachel.treaster

Re: Grouping pull out students

Post by rachel.treaster » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:04 am

This is a great question. I would avoid putting the students who are being pulled out in one team and them as you have them. When you are down to three students in the teams, you may partner the Students without a partner in each team with one another for pair work. You can decide which of the three you will partner, use your judgement with the factors you know about the students (academic level, behavior, personalities, etc.). Chapter 7 in the Cooperative Learning Book is all about Team Formation and has done great reminders.