Elementary Math

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
lhagedorn

Elementary Math

Post by lhagedorn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:30 am

I know Sage -n- Scribe works very well when used during math - any other suggestions? Showdown?

Thanks

krisosthoff

Re: Elementary Math

Post by krisosthoff » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi lhagedorn,
Thanks for reaching out. Can you provide a little more information? Are you asking for content suggestions for Sage-N-Scribe? Are you asking for suggestions of how to use structures in math? Also, what grade level do you teach? Thanks!
Kris Osthoff

lhagedorn

Post by lhagedorn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:56 am

I'm sorry - was wondering what other structures work well with math. Thanks!!

krisosthoff

Post by krisosthoff » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi lhagedorn,
Thanks for clarifying! I think I can boldly say that you can use almost any structure in math!
What we always recommend to teachers is to begin with their content and then pair it with a structure to actively engage students. But between there it is important to determine the academic function. So I'd like to remind you of pages 6.24 and 6.25 in your Kagan Cooperative Learning textbook. Once you have decided if it's Knowledgebuilding, Procedure Learning, Processing Information, Thinking Skiils, or Presentions, then you go down that column to select a structure. Since you mentioned Sage-N-Scribe, that makes me think you might be referring to Procedure Learning, so check out that column for great structures that give students great practice when there are steps to follow.
To build on this, you can also stack structures throughout a lesson. See chapter 14 of the textbook to see examples of multi-structural lessons.
Thanks for reaching out!
All the best,
Kristine Osthoff