Practical question about working in teams

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Isa_en_Belle

Practical question about working in teams

Post by Isa_en_Belle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:42 am

I often use Kagan structures in my classes. But I sometimes experience practical problems organising the activities, e.g. when I want to use structures to form random teams with a number of pupils that can't be divided by 4.
Example : with Stand-Up-Hand-Up-Pair-Up (+TimePairShare) to form (new) groups of 4 in the end, I end up having pupils who have no one to talk to, and when I try to solve that problem, I just create 'chaos'.
Help ?

krisosthoff

Re: Practical question about working in teams

Post by krisosthoff » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:46 am

Hi Isa_en_Belle,
We love that you often use Kagan structures in your class! Thank you for submitting your question. It's a great one. I have an idea I think you'll like. As you use StandUp-HandUp-PairUp for students to get a random partner for Timed Pair Share, you can easily create a random group of 4 with another Kagan structure.
First, when doing StandUp-HandUp-PairUp, wait to do Timed Pair Share until you have made certain everyone has a partner. Also, check for a group of 3 at that point because there should only be one group of 3.
Next do the Kagan structure called Pairs Pair. Let students know to STAY WITH THEIR PARTNER (only caps to emphasize it - not yelling). If you have a group of 3, have them stay put for the moment. In pairs all students each raise one hand and pair with another pair close to make a group of 4, then hands down. Remind them to keep a hand up if they are still looking for another pair. Then you'll look to see if your group of 3 stays as a group of 3, or if you have a leftover pair, then you put them together for one group of 5.
I do no know what grade level of students you teach. If you teach primary students, you could have them sit down once they have a partner as well as sit down once they have done Pairs Pair.
This will keep it from being a chaos! Yay!
Kind regards,
Kris
kriso@kaganonline.com

Oppest

Re: Practical question about working in teams

Post by Oppest » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:05 am

Thank you very much for the advice. I also have a problem with the definition of a group of 4 people