Kagan at A Level

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
lilyb16

Kagan at A Level

Post by lilyb16 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:46 am

I want to experiment with my yr12/13 students (aged 16-18 in UK). Any ideas or suggestions for incorporating cooperative learning with older students? Anything you can recommend that I should read?

darenhrrs@gmail.com

Re: Kagan at A Level

Post by darenhrrs@gmail.com » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:31 am

Fantastic you are looking to use cooperative learning with your students! I would strongly encourage you to start by letting students know why you are using cooperative learning in your classroom. You are giving students equal voice, ensuring everyone has the opportunity to be heard, giving them the skills needed to successfully work in a team (a key workplace skill), and you want the learning environment to be more student centered. Providing your students with this type of rationale will help them understand the "why" of cooperative learning and how it can impact them as learners. Start with Classbuilding and Teambuilding to help create cohesion and safety in your classroom so students feel comfortable sharing as you begin to incorporate content into the structures. Begin using paired structures like RallyRobin and Timed Pair Share then work your way into team structures like RoundRobin variations. Start slow with the structures listed above as you and your students get use to incorporating the structures into the classroom. Use easy content in the beginning and work your way to more difficult content as the structures become more ingrained into everyday instruction.

I would encourage you to read the Kagan Cooperative Learning textbook. Focus on chapters 6-11 as these will help you with the use of structures, the need for Classbuilding/Teambuilding, creation of teams, management, and the importance of social skills. There is a lot of literature out there on cooperative learning, but from my 25 years of experience in K-12 education this is by far the best resource for cooperative learning (and more) I have ever read.

Take care and best of luck in your classroom.

Wingu

Re: Kagan at A Level

Post by Wingu » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:51 pm

lilyb16 wrote:
> I want to experiment with my yr12/13 students (aged 16-18 in UK). Any ideas
> or suggestions for incorporating cooperative learning with older students?
> Anything you can recommend that I should read?

Hi Lily, how's it going. I know school only started recently but have you started Kagan yet?