preparing for 2017

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
sparkysecond

preparing for 2017

Post by sparkysecond » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:40 pm

I have an incoming second grade student with a history of refusing to join ANY group work, let alone site by other students. Any suggestions on how to introduce Kagan structures at the start of next year so this student succeeds along with the rest of us? I've been informed there will be LOTS of resistance...

rickduvall

Re: preparing for 2017

Post by rickduvall » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks so much for being so proactive and already making plans to help this student next fall! That child, as well as the classmates of that child, are so blessed to have you as their second grade teacher. With this much advanced planning time, try to get to know this child's interests outside of school. Does the child have a special interest in anything (a hobby, a sport, a TV show, a food, etc.)? Start planning this summer for effective classbuilding and teambuilding starting the first day of school, to help the child feel safe with classmates, and to help the classmates feel safe with the child. Read chapters 9 and 10 in your Kagan Cooperative Learning textbook to gather tons of ideas for ready-to-go activities. Be sure to include the child's interests that you discover in your classbuilding and teambuilding activities!

I have found that many children who are unwilling to participate in group activities quickly come around and thrive when we STRUCTURE those activities, so be sure to include Kagan structures when you want your students to interact. If you know that the child feels safer with a particular student, have them sit as shoulder partners initially and work together regularly in partner-based structures such as RallyRobin and Timed Pair Share. When doing classbuilding structures such as Mix-Pair-Share and Quiz-Quiz-Trade, I see teachers regularly helping their students who are less willing to socially mix (such as the student you describe) by prompting the student before announcing the structure to the rest of the class (such as saying privately to the student, "In about ten minutes, we're going to work with each other on Quiz-Quiz-Trade. I know that you'll learn a lot about your classmates and they'll learn about you, as well as all of you learning a lot of great content. I'll go ahead and give you your first card now, because I know that you are going to do such a great job with this and I want to help you feel comfortable with the information on your card."). Often, once the student understands the rationale for using the structure, their willingness to actively participate increases, as does their engagement.

It sounds like this child probably will benefit greatly from embedding social skill development throughout the day in your classroom. Kagan structures, especially when coupled with classbuilding and teambuilding, allow us to embed social skill development into our existing curricula. I find this to be one of the greatest benefits of using Kagan structures regularly. When we can engage our students in our content and in growing socially, we are accomplishing incredible things! Remember -- it's all about engagement!!!

john21wall

Re: preparing for 2017

Post by john21wall » Wed May 04, 2016 4:43 am

Save valuable time and energy with easyto-use
structures that make lesson planning
more effective
 Engage all students throughout each lesson
with new cooperative learning structures
 Lessen your load, make teaching easier, and
boost students’ test scores!