Continuation students

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
cluminbus@gmail.com

Continuation students

Post by cluminbus@gmail.com » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:48 pm

I just moved from first grade to Continuation school. My students are mostly working on computer classes, and would rather be left alone. My trainer suggested doing something very simple like Rally Robin to start. I have been doing it since the first day.
They don't really like it, but most of them will participate. They will say something nice to their partner in the end. Any suggestions for how to get them to participate more willingly and what would be the next step? Thanks, Carol

Jeff Dane

Re: Continuation students

Post by Jeff Dane » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:05 pm

Hey Carol,
Thanks for your post. I applaud your efforts in using RallyRobin. I would suggest building some rationale with the students for the structures. They are actually procedures that will aid them in developing two skills essential for future success: teamwork and communication. Perhaps use Timed Pair Share for them to verbally process their work both before and after their computer work. Hope this helps.

melissasw

Post by melissasw » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:09 am

Carol,
I agree with Jeff, build the rationale. Before doing the RallyRobin, ask them why they think you are taking the time to do something like that. Use a Timed Pair Share for their responses, then call on a couple students to share what their partner said. Teamwork and communication skills are life skills. Social skills and character virtues are trumping IQ these days. There is research out there that supports what businesses want from our students these days and those are high on the list! Don't throw it to the wayside......your doing exactly what your students need!! Great job!
Melissa

cluminbus@gmail.com

Post by cluminbus@gmail.com » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:26 pm

Thank you so much for the great ideas and support. I started timed pair share with my easier class and it went very well. Now I have to try it with my more challenging class.

cluminbus@gmail.com

Post by cluminbus@gmail.com » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:40 pm

I have one more question. Do you have any suggestions for students who flat out refuse to participate in Kagen activities?. I have a couple who are very challenging, and they refuse to participate.

Tom Searl

Post by Tom Searl » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:56 am

Hi Carol,
One idea might be to have the student listening to a pair doing the structure. That student would simply listen & watch them interacting appropriately. (Sometimes these students need to merely watch appropriate social skills taking place.). At the end of the Timed Pair Share you might want to call on that student to share one of the things that was said during the structure.
Another idea might be to talk with that student individually, the day before doing the structure, and involving him/her in the creation of the question.
As you know, the ultimate goal is to get all students involved into the structures. However intermediate steps may need to be taken before full involvement.
One last idea might be to have that student involved in the structure with one of his/her friends. The student could choose which friend to work with to help build safety.
Hoping some of these ideas help! It seems like you're doing a great job at using the structures!
Tom

cluminbus@gmail.com

Post by cluminbus@gmail.com » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:37 pm

Thank you so much for the ideas and support. I need it! Any more ideas and encouragement would be appreciated.

najatuw4646

Post by najatuw4646 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:35 pm

That student would simply listen & watch them interacting appropriately.