Starting a new school year

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
rachel.treaster

Starting a new school year

Post by rachel.treaster » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:53 am

With school starting I get a lot of questions about what to do on the first day of school. I always answer that it depends on your comfort of use with the 7 Keys of Cooperative Learning. Get some management in place with the Quiet Signal and go from there. As far as which structure to start with, again it's up to you! I see many teachers have great success with a Round Robin for fun as a Teambuilder to allow the students to get to know each other. Many teachers then use the Round Robin to allow students to process the rules and procedures taught that first day. What have you had success using?

Melanie Willette

Re: Starting a new school year

Post by Melanie Willette » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:58 am

Find Someone Who is also a great structure to use the first few days of school. Students not only get to stand up, move around, and interact with their new classmates, they also get to know each other in a novel and fun way. What better way to introduce your students to the magic of engagement while building the foundation for a caring community of learners!