Team Formation-Names

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
eaduarte

Team Formation-Names

Post by eaduarte » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:04 pm

I have an activity where the teams come up with names. It's in the Kagan Cooperative Learning with the triangle where they have things they like and then they come up with a team name. Are there any other ideas to have my middle schoolers come up with team names?

Elia Chesnoff

Re: Team Formation-Names

Post by Elia Chesnoff » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Any of the brainstorming structures could work. For example you could have students use Jot Thoughts to generate a bunch of ideas. Then each member of the team could pick his or her favorite. To reach consensus you could follow up with Spend-a-Buck. Just remember to remind students that when brainstorming both good and bad ideas are welcomed without judgement.

rickduvall

Re: Team Formation-Names

Post by rickduvall » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Thank you for recognizing the power of teambuilding to lay the foundation for powerful teamwork! When students know, trust, and respect their teammates more, their enthusiasm, trust, mutual support, and engagement with our academic content soar. Check out Chapter 10 ("Teambuilding") in your Kagan Cooperative Learning textbook. Pages 10.13-23 contain more than 30 ideas for Team Identity. I have found that team handshakes are extremely effective with middle school students! Good luck, and let us hear how your teambuilding continues to grow.