59 Kagan Structures book

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
joelkarchmer

59 Kagan Structures book

Post by joelkarchmer » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:16 am

Hello,
The principal at my elementary school gave some teachers the Kagan Cooperative Learning book hoping the selected teachers would find benefit from the reading. I am one of the lucky teachers at my school who has read the book and am committed to implementing as many of the structures and ideas as possible in my third grade classroom. Dr. Kagan has done a masterful job at sharing incredible methods for teachers to motivate/inspire/educate children. One part of the book that I would like more clarification is the following: For example, on page 14.12 in the book, Dr. Kagan shares many different structures that can be used during various stages of a lesson. Thirty-six structures and descriptions are listed in the book on page 6.24 and that is helpful, yet there are so many more structures mentioned (ie on page 14.12) that do NOT have extended descriptions on how to implement them. More specifically on page 14.12, how does one implement the following structures for which I did not easily find descriptions: Sage-N-Scribe, Team Pair Solo, Paraphrase Passport, and 4S Brainstorming? Of course, all of these structures are listed in the roman numeral section "x-xi," yet it is very cumbersome to sift through the 5-10 choices of pages to find out exactly how to use each of these structures. I welcome your suggestions, and I have one of my own: could Dr. Kagan and staff create a book that just has the structures listed with their descriptions (ie like a dictionary) to easily find these structures and descriptions for their implementation? (The Dr. Kagan book entitled Structures does not, according to the reviews on Amazon.com, comprehensively list the descriptions of the structures.)

parkeratkagan

Re: Structures

Post by parkeratkagan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:37 am

Hello and thank you for your kind words about your experiences with Kagan! It sounds like you are really digging into our book and Strucutres, and we appreciate your commitment. You bring up some good points that I’ll try to address.

You are correct in that there are many Structures available. The challenging part is that for each Structure, there can be several deviations to create a modified version of the Structure. We have a document that lists over 400 Structures, and what page number and book they can be found in. I’m happy to send that to anyone that sends me a quick note (parker@kaganonline.com).

NEWSFLASH: We are getting ready to release a brand new book called, “59 Kagan Structures – Proven Engagement Strategies.” You heard it here first!

The “59 Kagan Structures” book is literally going to the printer next week, and will be available for distribution by Aug. 1. The product code is BKS, it is 248 pages, and it will sell for $39. It is not on our website yet, but it will be in our new catalog which will be mailed out in the near future. This book will be a comprehensive, step-by-step resource that we have designed to serve like the ‘dictionary’ you described. It was a lot of work and we are really proud of it!

Thanks again for your ideas and endorsements, and let me know if there is anything else we can do to be of assistance.

joelkarchmer

Post by joelkarchmer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:51 pm

Hello "Parkeratkagan,"
All I can say is "Wow and thank you!!" That's exactly what I (and probably others) would especially benefit from. Additionally, the book is coming out on August 1 before the beginning of the new school year. What a remarkable group of thoughtful, helpful, and innovative educators/researchers/writers Kagan has on board their team. What I cannot figure out is why more teachers around the USA have still not heard of the Kagan program. I have been working at a school that has very high achieving students yet none of the teachers on staff (to my knowledge) has any familiarity with the great Kagan approaches. Well, I am thankful that this good news about Kagan is now in my educational toolkit.

Kudos for helping!
Joel Karchmer

krisosthoff

Post by krisosthoff » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi Joel!

I love your enthusiasm and positivity and interest in Kagan structures! I'm excited about your commitment to reading the book!
You might also check out our website for a training in your area. We offer Cooperative Learning workshops all over the country and in some other countries. Experiencing the engagement structures firsthand really helps with implementation. You also have the chance to brainstorm how to use them as well as some practice using some structures along with research and understanding how all the key concepts fit together. You can also find valuable information following us on Twitter @KaganOnline

All the best,
Kris Osthoff
Twitter @KristineAtKagan

joelkarchmer

Post by joelkarchmer » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Hello Kris,

Yes, I have already registered for the 1-Day Kagan Professional Development in my area of Los Angeles in October 2015. Thanks for your reply.

Joel

parkeratkagan

Post by parkeratkagan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:36 am

As promised, the new 59 Kagan Structures book is now available! You can learn more about and order it directly from our website by selecting the below link:

http://www.kaganonline.com/catalog/coop ... _5.php#BKS

Here is the description:

59 Kagan Structures
Proven Engagement Strategies
Spencer Kagan, Miguel Kagan, & Laurie Kagan (All Grades)
Kagan Structures are revolutionary teaching strategies. Why? Because they create an unparalleled level of student engagement. Kagan Structures create a cooperative and caring class tone by putting students on the same side as they interact in pairs, small teams, and with classmates. Structures ensure every student is individually accountable so no one can hide and take a free ride. Structures create equal participation, which means all students are engaged a much greater percent of the time. In this must-have Kagan reference guide, you get 59 step-by-step Kagan Structures you'll use time and time again. More structures means more tools in your teaching toolbox to create more student engagement, more student learning, and more success! 248 pages. BKS • $39

Enjoy!

joelkarchmer

Re: 59 Kagan Structures book

Post by joelkarchmer » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello,

Sometimes things that happen in life that go way beyond any positive expectations that one has. As a 3rd grade teacher at a school in Los Angeles, I can say with certainty that the newest book 59 Structures has tremendously exceeded any positive expectations that I had. It is exactly what was needed in the vast array of books created by Kagan Publishing because it cleanly, clearly, and succinctly explains the useful structures. It also makes the blackline template available right after the definition of the structure so that feverish searching in the back of the book for the template is avoided. It's almost like someone from Kagan was looking into my brain to see what would really make the use of the Kagan structures more applicable/teacher friendly. I am so happy to report that this newest book has my five star rating. Keep up the good work. (I enjoy my summer vacations off from school, and I hope I don't sound corny, but I can hardly way to start using these structures with my new students this school year.)

parkeratkagan

Re: 59 Kagan Structures book

Post by parkeratkagan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:17 am

Hi Joel,

Thank you so much for your kind feedback on our new 59 Kagan Structures book! We are so glad that it is exceeding your expectations. I forwarded your comments to the authors (Miguel, Laurie, and Dr. Spencer Kagan), and they were appreciative as well.

It is great to hear that you will be joining us for a Cooperative Learning workshop this fall. As good as this book is, nothing beats getting to attend a workshop with one of our Trainers. I think that you will find even more value in all of our books after you've completed that workshop.

And you don't sound corny to us; you sound like a Kaganite, and we love it!
Parker