Talking Chips

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
conejo

Talking Chips

Post by conejo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:49 am

I am at a loss for topics with talking chips. I would like to use it with my elementary aged students.

Thank you!

krisosthoff

Re: Talking Chips

Post by krisosthoff » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi conejo!
I'm excited you are going to use the Kagan structure Talking Chips. Any time you are asking student a discussion topic question, you can use Talking Chips. If/when you attended a day 4 workshop, you have some ideas jotted down in your binder on page B:90. Some other sample questions:
Do you know anyone like the main character? How is he/she like the main character?
Discuss how the location of a place affects the weather, climate, and seasons.
What do you already know about rainforests?
Best of luck!
Kris Osthoff

schwerim

Re: Talking Chips

Post by schwerim » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:30 am

I used Talking Chips with my Beginner ESOL class for the first time yesterday. I chose this structure because some of my students want to shout out answers all the time, while others try to hide and would prefer not talking. Our lesson involved writing a personal, thank you letter. At the start of the lesson, I gave each student 2 Talking Chips. I reminded them I would take a chip each time they answered a question. I also reminded them to wait and allow other students to answer questions until everyone was out of chips. Knowing the students and their language levels, I was able to modify questions for students with more limited English, and challenge those with move knowledge of the language and content. All-in-all, using Talking Chips helped balance the student responses and challenge the quieter students to speak up.