School based professional learning

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
cfortini

School based professional learning

Post by cfortini » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:11 am

As part of a staff development day I have to present a professional reading that I want staff to unpack. Which Kagan structure/ structures would be the best to use?

DianeTX

Re: School based professional learning

Post by DianeTX » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:22 am

This article might be a great guide for your presentation.

The Essential 5: A Starting Point for Kagan Cooperative Learning
http://www.kaganonline.com/free_article ... e-Learning

The site has a sneak preview of the book section that would also be helpful.
http://www.kaganonline.com/catalog/BKCL ... tarted.php

Be sure to include practice with the structures. From the site/book:

"It is our experience that you cannot convince teachers of the power of cooperative learning structures by talking about the structures or your positive experiences with the structures. To become convinced, teachers need to experience the structures. It usually does not work to invite reluctant teachers in to see structures at work in your own classroom. The resistant teacher says, “But that would never work with my students.”

Thus we have advocated two ways of convincing teachers: 1) have them experience the structures in a workshop and have them derive the rationale from their own experience; and 2) do demonstration lessons in their own classroom, with their own students, working on their own regular academic content. When teachers see how engaged their own students can be, and how well they retain the content because they have processed the content using interactive structures, they become convinced."

I am new to Kagan structures, but I just did a similar presentation in my school. I got lots of positive feedback. I hope your presentation goes well.

krisosthoff

Re: School based professional learning

Post by krisosthoff » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:28 am

Thanks for the question! I love that you want to use structures to help teachers in a staff development presentation. You might refer to chapter 14 in the cooperative learning textbook for samples of multi structural lessons. It gives you examples of how you can keep your audience engaged during your presentation. Yes, for teachers to learn the structures, we definitely recommend that teachers attend a Kagan workshop.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Kris
kriso@kaganonline.com