EYFS

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
TessParr

EYFS

Post by TessParr » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:41 am

I have been directed to implement Kagan as an integrated aspect of everyday teaching and learning. The school have embraced both structures and theories founded by Kagan well, however there are two queries which I have been asked to raise:

1. EYFS: the children are finding it difficult to remember instantaneously their groups which is taking adults time to group each session/strategy. Do you have any advice for practitioners within EYFS for memory strategies to secure Kagan within the early years provision.
2. Hearing impaired children within our Sensory Resource Provision are not hearing instructions and losing pace of the activities. This is having a negative effect on grouping, as our school have followed the instructions learnt at days 1 and 2 of the course.

Any advice on the above questions would be fantastic!

rachel.treaster

Re: EYFS

Post by rachel.treaster » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:44 pm

There is a question posted on our discussion board (scroll down below) asking about Kindergaren ideas. I believe since EYFS and Kindergarten both work with younger students, this may be helpful for you. There is also a topic below on using structures in a deaf classroom. You may also find fhose suggestions helpful as well. ;)

rickduvall

Re: EYFS

Post by rickduvall » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:39 am

My first thought for both younger students and hearing-impaired students is that it's very helpful to the students if you can make the steps of the structures visual for the students. I have seen many teachers who work with both populations of students have students model the steps in front of their peers. The teacher guides them in exactly what to do, and snaps some digital photographs of the students while they are modeling. They then turn those photographs into a chart, and use that chart each time they implement that structure until the students have fully internalized it.

Have you checked out Kagan's great book Cooperative Learning for Primary? Melissa Wincel, the author, draws upon her expertise in early childhood to offer great management tips for using Kagan structures with very young children. The book also provides over 250 ready-to-use activities with young students. A huge bonus is that everything is aligned to the Common Core State Standards. You can find the book on this website if you don't already have it. Melissa also will be teaching a workshop at the Kagan Summer Academy this July at Walt Disney World devoted to actively engaging very young students. The best news about this is that Kagan is still accepting applications throughout February for scholarships to attend the Summer Academy. You can find information on applying on this website. Good luck!

Best wishes! Thanks for what you are doing for both of these groups of young people! I hope to meet you at the Kagan Summer Academy! --Rick