kagan and math

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
kellymartin

kagan and math

Post by kellymartin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 am

Hello!
I teach 1st grade and I am looking for a way to implement Kagan during math time. I am using Kagan a ton during my ELA block but I struggle to find ways to implement Kagan during math. I am open to any and all suggestions! Thank you!!

rachel.treaster

Re: kagan and math

Post by rachel.treaster » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Kelly,
Rally Coach is a great structure to use during your math block with your students. It's perfect for practicing procedures you've taught. You can find the steps to Rally Coach in Chapter 6. Another resource you can use to help with Ralky Coacj is section A:11 & B:58 in the binder.

rickduvall

Re: kagan and math

Post by rickduvall » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:02 pm

Remember, Kagsn structures don't have to be a huge "event". They are simply a way to structure students' engagement with answering your questions and with engaging with your math content. Pretty much anytime you ask a question of your students, that's a perfect time to implement a Kagan structure. For example, if you ask your students to give you a number sentence that equals 10, you could structure the answering so that students do a RallyRobin with a partner and keep rallying number sentences (I.e., one student says, "1 + 9," their partner says, "5 + 5," the first partner says, "10 + 0", etc.). Another example, teams can do a Single RoundRobin to share their answers to a problem very quickly and then signal to you if they all have the same answer.

Kagan offers a wonderful workshop at the Kagan Summer Academy at Walt Disney World that focuses on active engagement in elementary math classes through the use of Kagan structures. The best news is that there is still time to apply for a scholarship to this summer's academy! See the Summer Academy page on this website for information about applying for a scholarship. Good luck! I hope to meet you at the Kagan Summer Academy in July! --Rick