Using Kagan Strategies for PARCC/Common Core Test Prep

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
kabuckner

Using Kagan Strategies for PARCC/Common Core Test Prep

Post by kabuckner » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:36 am

Hey there,
I teach 5th grade Reading and ELA. I was wondering if you know of some strategies that I could use for test prep questions. My students will have to read passages and answer questions about that passage. They will also complete text-based writing prompts.

I have already thought about using Jot Thoughts for writing topics, maybe...
I also plan to use Rally Coach or Rally Robin for some of the comprehension questions.

Are there any others that would be more beneficial to test prep? Maybe something where the students read with a partner?

Thanks for your help!

rachel.treaster

Re: Using Kagan Strategies for PARCC/Common Core Test Prep

Post by rachel.treaster » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:08 pm

You are of to a great start! Several structures came to mind to help you with these types of tasks. I immediately thought of Numbered Heads Together and Showdown. The steps of these structures can be found in Chapter 6 of the Cooperative Learning book and the ideas pages we brainstorm with during our workshops can be found in section B of the Cooperative Learning Binder. I wanted to also mention we offer an amazing course, Elementary Literacy that may be helpful when finding ways to use structures during your ELA block of time with students. We are offering this course at our Winter Academy in Las Vegas in February. Information can be found here: http://www.kaganonline.com/workshops/winter_academy/
I hope this is helpful! Best Wishes! :)Rachel

rickduvall

Re: Using Kagan Strategies for PARCC/Common Core Test Prep

Post by rickduvall » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:26 pm

My favorite Kagan structure to use for test prep of multiple choice items is Find the Fiction. I have found this to be so helpful with multiple choice questions because so many of us, as educators, ask students in our classrooms to regularly give the right answer or the best answer. However, on standardized tests, they are often asked to pick the one answer that is NOT supported by the evidence in the text. Find the Fiction helps students develop the mindset for finding the incorrect answer.