Kagan in the High School Social Studies Classroom

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
bbaierlein

Kagan in the High School Social Studies Classroom

Post by bbaierlein » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:37 am

I am a high school social studies teacher who is new to Kagan Structures... I was really hoping someone might be able to help me with a sample lesson plan to implement the Kagan Structures in my classroom. I have been using Numbered Heads together and quiz-quiz trade, but I thought it might be helpful to see how others are implementing the strategies in a HS SS classroom.

Bill Stater

Re: Kagan in the High School Social Studies Classroom

Post by Bill Stater » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:35 pm

So many great ways to use Kagan Structures in a high school social studies classoom! You could use Mix-Pair-Share, for example, to access prior knowledge before your direct instruction (e.g. "What do you already know about the judicial process"). You could also have students use a structure like Rally Coach for guided practice to answer questions on a worksheet. Yet another way to incorporate Kagan into your lesson could be as a lesson wrap (e.g. "RoundRobin what you learned today about the French Revolution"). Chapter 14 in your textbook has additional information. If you are interested, there is a workshop we offer that focuses on Lesson Planning with Kagan. Call the Kagan Office at 1-800-933-2667 to see if there is a workshop planned in your area. Hope that helps, and thanks for the question!

bbaierlein

Post by bbaierlein » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:34 am

Bill Stater wrote:
> So many great ways to use Kagan Structures in a high school social studies
> classoom! You could use Mix-Pair-Share, for example, to access prior
> knowledge before your direct instruction (e.g. "What do you already
> know about the judicial process"). You could also have students use a
> structure like Rally Coach for guided practice to answer questions on a
> worksheet. Yet another way to incorporate Kagan into your lesson could be
> as a lesson wrap (e.g. "RoundRobin what you learned today about the
> French Revolution"). Chapter 14 in your textbook has additional
> information. If you are interested, there is a workshop we offer that
> focuses on Lesson Planning with Kagan. Call the Kagan Office at
> 1-800-933-2667 to see if there is a workshop planned in your area. Hope
> that helps, and thanks for the question!

Thanks, Bill! I called the number and the tech I spoke with didn't seem to know what I was talking about. He took my email address and said he would get with me after doing some research... I haven't heard back, and it has been a few days.

bbaierlein

Post by bbaierlein » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:54 pm

Still looking for help... I really would like to see/read an actual Kagan lesson for HS social studies (preferably history, of some sort). It would very helpful to me - as many of the examples/ideas at the workshop seemed geared either to younger students and/or math or science curriculum. Please help -- I am really fired up about the structures, but need a push in the right direction.

rachel.treaster

Post by rachel.treaster » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:10 pm

It's great to hear about your excitement about using structures in your classroom! The Kagan office will reopen from the holiday break on January 5th. Bill gave great suggestions and in addition Kagan has great secondary curriculum books for the various social studies content that may have the types of lesson plans you are looking for and can be found on the website. I hope this is helpful to you. Happy New Year!

rickduvall

Post by rickduvall » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:47 pm

Kagan offers a wonderful two day workshop geared specifically to Secondsry Social Studies! Participants experience multiple Kagan structures within social studies content. The best news is that there is still time to apply for a scholarship for this summer's workshop! See the Summer Academy page on this website. Kagan also offers some wonderful textbooks for secondary level social studies teachers that I love! See the products page on this sire. My favorites are the American History text and the World History text. These books provide ready-to-use ideas for social studies lessons, specifically using Kagan structures for active enfagement of students. Best wishes! I hope to meet you at this summer's Kagan Academy! Rick