Kagan Question Round Robin

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
MrTesfay

Kagan Question Round Robin

Post by MrTesfay » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Hello all

Today I had my evaluation and I was very excited to include a Kagan Structure. I chose to include Round Robin. My students paired with shoulder partners and they took turns discussing their homework questions, for which it was imperative that they were familiar with before starting the evaluation. It was mentioned to me that since the students had already answered the questions they were discussing.. that this was not cooperative learning. This didn't make sense to me seeing how in Think-Pair-Share the student works individually to think of their answer and THEN pairs with someone to share it. Why would the fact that instead of them just thinking their thoughts, I had them write it down... why would that suddenly make this not cooperative learning?

So, my question to everyone, was my activity truly not cooperative learning, simply because during the Round Robin, the students wrote down their thoughts the night before?

MonikV

Re: Kagan Question Round Robin

Post by MonikV » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:34 am

I think you were on the right track and intentions were good. However, I think that to make it truly cooperative, you could've added something where the group would've agreed on an answer, building it from what everyone reported.

rachel.treaster

Re: Kagan Question Round Robin

Post by rachel.treaster » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:54 am

First of all, I am so happy to hear you're using the structures! Way to go!!! I think you asking the question and having the students think about and answer their question the night before was providing them think time. To answer your question of whether the structure was truly cooperative is hard because I wasn't there to see it. If the steps of the structures were followed as written it would be because PIES is embedded. Remember, for any activity to be cooperative it must have all four of the principals of PIES. There is a chapter devoted to PIES in your CL Book and in section A in your binder if you've attended the Cooperative Learning course. Keep up your hard work! Happy New Year!!