Kagan in Art

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
THowlett

Kagan in Art

Post by THowlett » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:44 am

Does anyone have some great strategy choices or ideas for art class? Primarily K and 1st grade. They spend 50 mins. with the art teacher. Thanks in advance!

Rob

Re: Kagan in Art

Post by Rob » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:01 am

I think one of the hardest things to do in an Art class is to keep productivity at a high level for a long period of time. I have often discovered a sort of bell curve of working. Some of us are working until the teacher provides lots of facilitation and then most of us are working and by then the few that had started right up, have lost momentum and then again only some of us are working.

Here are a couple of ideas for Kagan structures. After giving directions, ask the group to RoundRobin those directions, you will often find more students able to begin simply because of their involvement in the directions. To keep momentum going, stop them after 10-15 minutes. I know this may sound contrary to. What you want, but it is a refocusing pause. Asked them again to RoundRobin, what they like best about their work ( if this becomes a regular practice, they no longer are chasing the teacher around to show off their efforts, since they are getting affirmations from their teammates). One more quick RoundRobin to answer what is next in their project will get them off to the races.

I have seen great creativity in Art classes, and when I have seen that creativity also unleashed with the use of the structures, the sky is the limit!

rickduvall

Re: Kagan in Art

Post by rickduvall » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:06 am

I find that visual arts standards typically are clustered into three primary categories: knowledge of art, creation of art, and reflecting/feedback on art. I regularly see art teachers use Kagan structures with the knowledge standards, pretty much the same way any other content teacher does. For example, RallyRobin to explain advantages/disadvantages of using water colors as a medium. Check out the Kagan Higher Level Thinking Question Cards that can be used with knowledge building. Kagan offers cards on the elements of art and on scanning a print. These cards can be used with Kagan structures such as Timed Pair Share, RallyRobin, Timed RoundRobin, Single RoundRobin, Continuous RoundRobin, Think-Write-RoundRobin, AllWriteRoundRobin, Quiz-Quiz-Trade, etc. You can find these cards on this website under "Products". I love that they're only $5 for a book!

When working on creating art, I see art teachers using structures like Timed Pair Share to have students explain to a partner what they are planning to create, and why they are making the choices you are. For reflection/feedback standards, I have seen art teachers use Kagan structures like Simultaneous RoundTable where students provide written feedback to their teammates on their works of art.

Thanks for working so hard to get your students even more deeply engaged with art!