Kagan Strategy for Finding Text Evidence

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
kabuckner

Kagan Strategy for Finding Text Evidence

Post by kabuckner » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Hey there! I need some help brainstorming a good Kagan strategy to use for a lesson on finding text evidence. I've used Read-N-Review and Round-Robin for other activities, but I'd like to try something different. In the lesson, the students will have to practice highlighting the evidence in a text to show how they know the answer to a comprehension question. Do you have any ideas? lol I am familiar with Kagan strategies.

melissasw

Re: Kagan Strategy for Finding Text Evidence

Post by melissasw » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:09 am

Hello Karen,
I'm glad you have found success using many Kagan structure already....awesome! Read and Review is one of my favorite structures. Thank you for reaching out for help on specific content of siting textual evidence. The first structure that comes to my mind is RallyCoach, having Partner A find a textual evidence to support their inference, explaining why before highlighting it. I can also see using Numbered Heads Together or Showdown. I saw a teacher do this with their Scholastic News with siting textual evidence to support their answer.
Hope these ideas help.
Melissa

rickduvall

Post by rickduvall » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:02 am

Thanks for wanting to actively engage your students in citing text evidence -- such an important skill to learn! You could use a multitude of structures for having students support their thinking with text evidence (Placemat Consensus, Sage & Scribe, Choose a Chip, etc.). You don't want to change the steps of the structures; simply add a gambit to the structure. Brainstorm with your students some potential gambits for text evidence ("The text says...", "The author explains...", "This sentence states...") and then explain that you expect the students to preface their comments when using the structure with the gambit. Make sure to chart these gambits and/or put them on cards or chips for students to learn until they are naturally using them on their own.

You might want to think about trying at attend the "Reading Between the Lines" workshop next summer at the Summer Academy at Disney! That one-day workshop is devoted exactly to this topic!

kabuckner

Post by kabuckner » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:55 am

Thank you both!!! Very helpful!