Choral Room

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
ljgroves

Choral Room

Post by ljgroves » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:35 am

How do I set up my classroom to do teams and my regular choral arrangement?

agterry810

Re: Choral Room

Post by agterry810 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:25 pm

For my room, I have the students in traditional rows; however, they sit closer to their partner. The two people behind them are apart of their group. So, in the front, you have 1a and 2b. Behind them would be 3b and 4a. I make it to where the students can easily talk to each other in their groups.

Christi Brown

Re: Choral Room

Post by Christi Brown » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:33 am

In an elementary music class, some have risers that are color-coded. If working in teams, then top row green is a team of 3 or 4, bottom row red is a team of 3 or 4 etc. If doing pair structures, have students turn to a partner sitting next to them (ignoring the color-coded section).

In a secondary setting, have students turn to a partner beginning at the same time at each end of the row from left and the right, sometimes producing a team of 3 in the center, no problem - RallyRobin now becomes RoundRobin for those students. If in an instrumental setting, their partner is their music stand partner.

Classbuilding occurs off the risers in the open space and allowed students from different sections to interact. For example, sopranos reviewed music theory with tenors , basses, altos etc. Good for group cohesiveness before performance.
~Christi