Art Education

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
erikako@verizon.net

Art Education

Post by erikako@verizon.net » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:31 am

I recently took a Kagan class for my Masters and loved it ! I wanted to know if anyone has used these cooperative learning structures in their Art classroom and would it be possible for you to list some examples( I am a secondary art teacher) any information would be greatly appreciated !
Erika Oldershaw

Carol Lohkamp

Re: Art Education

Post by Carol Lohkamp » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:00 am

Hey, Erika!
I saw a fantastic lesson in a High School Art II class that used Simultaneous RoundTable. The purpose of the lesson was for the students to create spontaneously using organic forms. Each of the four students at the team had his/her own paper, but they each had a different colored pencil. After 10 seconds of solo planning (think) time, they had 60 seconds to draw. When the timer went off, all students switched/rotated papers and the planning-drawing process started again. The teacher led the teams through four rotations. She said it greatly enhanced their later creative work beyond any group she had taught. Good luck!

Christi Brown

Post by Christi Brown » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi Erika,
Students can also create product during pair structures, such as: RallyTable, or SImultaneous RallyTable (see Carol's example above but in pairs instead of teams).
Also, art teachers are using the Function of "Presenting Information" to structure HOW students will share about their completed project, or practice their presentation skills. One teacher said, "Why should we put your 'piece' (completed art work) in our art gallery for opening night? You have 2 minutes to tell the gallery owner." The teacher led the structure Timed Pair Share.
Hope you have some choices. Would love to hear how/what works for you and your students.
All the Best,
~Christi

erikako@verizon.net

Post by erikako@verizon.net » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:14 am

Great Ideas Christi and Carol thank you so much :) Erika

Bill Stater

Post by Bill Stater » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:35 am

Hello Erika,
I love Christi and Carol's ideas as well. Here are a few more ideas that I have seen. I saw a high school art teacher use Timed RoundRobin to have the students talk out their ideas beginning work on a solo painting. Then he used Inside-Outside Circle when the students were about halfway through the assignment to have them share their progress and get suggestions from other classmates. Finally, he used Carousel Feedback after their paintings were complete to present their work. It really was a great lesson! Hope yours is a success also. Let us know how it goes.