Match Mine for Social Studies

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
SEnokian

Match Mine for Social Studies

Post by SEnokian » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:14 pm

What are some ways you can use Match Mine in a secondary Social Studies class besides labeling a map or using map skills?

ElishaW/Kagan

Re: Match Mine for Social Studies

Post by ElishaW/Kagan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:43 am

What a great question! Here are some ideas that I hope you find useful.

1) U.S. or World History: Time lines work very well. The "game board" is the timeline with either the dates OR events. Then the corresponding cards would have either the dates OR the events to match. Another idea could include a game board with pictures of historical figures OR their names and then the cards would have the matching pictures OR names. You could make this idea even more challenging by then creating an additional game board with descriptions of the historical figures OR their pictures on the board with the matching description or pictures on the corresponding cards.

2) Economics: Creating line graphs. The game board includes the x and y axis and the sender instructs the receiver how and where to plot each point. Any chart represented can serve as the game board. For example, The Circular Flow of Economic Activity would be the game board and it's corresponding cards would include Product Markets, Individuals, Factor Markets, Businesses, Goods, Services, Income from Resources, etc. I've also used a Thinking Map or Venn Diagram as the game board comparing/contrasting various economic systems and each card included a description on the economy, advantages, and disadvantages.

3) American Government/Civics: How a bill becomes a law. I think this one is pretty straight forward. States rights vs. Federal Government rights on 2 column notes with corresponding cards that are to be placed in the correct column. For government you could also adapt the ideas stated above from history and economics like the timelines, flow charts, and Venn diagrams.

3) Psychology/Sociology: Labeling the parts of the brain is one idea that works well. Names of disorders on the game board and the cards include the description. Sociology relies on vocabulary and definitions for a true understanding of this social science. The game board can include the term and the card would have the definition.

I hope these ideas are helpful. One of the main goals of Match Mine is to allow students the opportunity to fine tune communication skills while "playing" with the content. Take some of these ideas and give them a try. The real challenge is to find ways to make the conversation students have about your content even more rigorous.

SEnokian

Re: Match Mine for Social Studies

Post by SEnokian » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:24 am

Thank you! I teach World History so the time line one could be pretty fun. I think I might also try to use it with content vocabulary.