Community building

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
kdavis99

Community building

Post by kdavis99 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:59 am

The technology teachers at two other elementary schools and I created a blog on Kidblog for our fifth graders to begin to get to know each other before they go to middle school next year. While flipping through my Kagan stuff I came across "Find the Fiction/ 2 truths and a lie" I used that as a blog post to help the kids break the ice some. I'm wondering if there are other class/community builders anyone can suggest that might transfer well to an online community. I'm playing with a way to do a People Hunt requiring kids to reply to people not at their school, maybe first have kids write 5-10 facts about themselves and have others reply if they have one of those in common. Any ideas would be welcomed!

Wendy Burke

Re: Community building

Post by Wendy Burke » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:23 am

OMG! Love the idea of doing People Hunt via the web. Please share when you have tried it!

Find the Fiction is a great teambuilder, to build relationships once you get them into their teams. Fan-n-Pick is great in teams too.

Some great Class builders are: People Hunt/ which is a version of Find Someone Who. One that we did at Trainer Update, was Quiz Quiz Trade. Each person gets an index card- they write a personal fact on the front- their name on the back- and people had to guess who that fact belonged to. Inside/Outside Circle is a great one- which can be done as a Line-Up if space is limited.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

melissasw

Re: Community building

Post by melissasw » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Love your thinking ahead to middle school and incorporating Classbuilding with your blog. I know your thinking of what structures you could you....but you could make it ver simple; post a fun question every couple days for the kids to respond to. If you need ideas for questions, we have two great resource books; Teambuilding and Classbuilding Questions books.
If you could somehow pair students up they could do an online RallyTable, like a Venn Diagram, of things they like individually as well as things they have in common.
If technology and structures is your desire, we have a great 2 day training offered at Summer Academy in Orlando, FL...Disney.... Structures with iPads.