Kagan in Physical Education

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
soaring eagles

Kagan in Physical Education

Post by soaring eagles » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:03 pm

I am wondering if anyone has ideas for using Kagan structures in Physical Education classes. Does anyone have experiences they could share?

Elia

Re: Kagan in Physical Education

Post by Elia » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:05 pm

I've seen Kagan structures used in various ways by PE teachers. In an elementary school, I saw a PE teacher have students RallyRobin the various rules of a particular sport. I saw one middle school teacher using RallyCoach to have students practice the skill of a tennis serve. Student A would describe where to stand on the line, get the OK from student B, then stand there. Student A would describe how to grip the racquet, get the ok from B, then hold the racquet. Then A would describe, the throwing of the ball and swing, get the ok, and then serve a ball.

I think the most creative example I saw was in a high school weight lifting class. The teacher presented the students with overviews of two workout programs: P90X and Zumba. Then had students use a Timed Pair Share to answer the following questions, "If you had to choose 1 of the two workout programs to do over the next 12 weeks, which would it be and why?" The same teacher also taught the students a series of exercises and had them develop their own work out programs. In a Timed RoundRobin, the students had to explain why they chose specific exercises and what results they hoped to accomplish through their program.

soaring eagles

Post by soaring eagles » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:42 am

Great! Thanks so much. I teach high school students and we are starting a new fitness course this semester, and these ideas have gotten the wheels spinning for me for incorporating structures into the fitness course and my other course as well.

I am also curious about ways to use structures to help with safety/routines/transitions/management in high school PE classes. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks again!

Tom Searl

Post by Tom Searl » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:17 am

Hello ~
If you haven't already, it'd be great to see if you could attend a Kagan Cooperative Learning training. This would allow you to network with others and help support you with your content/PE ideas! The most updated list of trainings are on the Kagan website. From the Home Page, click on the yellow "Workshops" tab at the top of the page. Then click on the purple tab at the top center of the page that says "Workshop Schedule".
Hope this helps!

Janet R

Post by Janet R » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:38 am

Hi Elia

I've seen a variety of structures used in phys ed here in Denmark. E.g. Quiz, quiz, trade using pictures of physical warm-up activities instead of questions. Later in the year the teacher got the students to produce their own activity cards for Quiz, quiz, trade. They were given themes like Balancing Exercises or Stamina Training, etc.

At other times she'd do a Mix-pair-share and give the students a concrete exercise to do with their partner. Here, for example, she'd play music and Partner A had to lead a stretch program with partner B mirroring the moves. New mix, new partner, new sequence.

8th graders are notoriously self conscious and they use are tons of excuses to try and get out of phys ed. But the great thing about using structures is that everyone is so concentrated on their own partners that they forget their inhibitions and fears of being watched by others. No one is left out and no one can hide. They love these classes now.

Regards
Janet

tariqali

Post by tariqali » Thu May 28, 2015 2:31 am

I really impress Kagan in Physical Education specially in quiz trade using pics of physical healthy activities...

angelapink

Post by angelapink » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:31 pm

I'm so glad to hear that you have used Quiz-Quiz Trade in PE. This is a great structure for review, and a great way to get movement as well. In an earlier post you mentioned wanting ideas for: safety/routines/transition/management. This structure would be great to review those type of questions. After teaching your safety guidelines, routines, etc. at the beginning of the year, make review cards with questions on the front and answers on the back. Then you can use QQTrade to review. This would be an awesome way to start off your school year. Then during the school year, if the students need reminding of those safety rules and procedures, pull the cards back out again! Please let us know if you try!
Angela