Management Tips

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
rickduvall

Re: Management Tips

Post by rickduvall » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:35 am

All of these are powerful, important tips. I find, in my work with teachers, that having an effective Quiet Signal (or Attention Signal) in place is vital -- especially if I want students to interact cooperatively with partners, teammates, and other classmates during Classbuilding. I regularly try to help teachers guide their students in practicing their Quiet Signal until it becomes "muscle memory" for the students -- they just do it without much conscious effort. If it takes too long for students to stop working independently, with a partner, or with a small group when the teacher needs everyone's attention, I find that other classroom management issues tend to quickly follow! I highly recommend the simple three-step Quiet Signal that is taught and used in all Kagan workshops.

Rob

Re: Management Tips

Post by Rob » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:29 pm

Some teachers might be reluctant or weary of structures that have the entire class get up and move. With practice, it becomes a natural part of your lessons. How do you get over the hump? Instead of everyone moving, try One Stray and then move on to perhaps, Two Stray. Some students just need practice and done teachers might need to take baby steps. Teach them and model for them your expectations.