Help teaching teachers

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
jjducks

Help teaching teachers

Post by jjducks » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:00 am

Help :( > Shortly, I am introducing Kagan's Cooperative Learning and need quick advice for a lesson. I teach a methods course. I want undergraduates to consider a strong rationale for using Kagan's Structures. Chapter 4 provides this rationale. How can I use one of Kagan's structures (and which one?) to both demonstrate the approach and process Chapter 4's information. Although the structures of RoundRobin, Rally Robin, Listen Right! and Time Pair Share are suggested, because I am new to this I am not quite sure what a lesson would look like, or which one to choose. Any suggestions?

Wendy Burke

Re: Help teaching teachers

Post by Wendy Burke » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:15 pm

I think it is so exciting that you want to share Kagan at the University level. I love that you are looking to have your students experience, then discuss the power of structures. There are a couple of good resources for you: Chapter 14- is a chapter on what a cooperative lesson looks like, also there is a great article on our website entitled: The Instructional Revolution- that talks about the power of a Cooperative Learning classroom vs a Traditional room. I encourage you, if you haven't already, to attend a Kagan Cooperative Learning training. I think this would help you with the questions you asked, and to have you really get a chance to see and experience the structures first hand. Until then, I would have your students read the article I listed, or excerpts from the chapter and do a Timed Pair Share to process their reading. During this structure you want your students to explain and justify their response with facts/personal experiences/ connections they were able to make. I wish you success!