Age Range

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
dorian.the1st

Age Range

Post by dorian.the1st » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:49 pm

I am a Sophemore in High School and i was wondering if you could tell me what the age range usually is for "Kagan" users.

Christi Brown

Re: Age Range

Post by Christi Brown » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Kagan Structures are implemented with any age students. For example, some students at the university or college level are experiencing basic teambuilding activities and cooperative strategies, while building a computer system. Also, there are lots of trainers that use Kagan Structures to allow other ADULT participants to verbalize their thinking and practice skills. We have even trained managers and engineers in Structures to enhance their trainings and help others master the content.
Just because it feels like fun, or easy, doesn't mean it isn't valuable. Stay with it - the results are too great to ignore.
P.S. - Stay in school.

dorian.the1st

Post by dorian.the1st » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Thank you mam but I disagree. My high school last year printed an editorial in our school newspaper stating that kagan is demeaning to have and a waist of time in our school as high schoolers. Basically the whole principle(and correct me if I'm wrong) but its basically teaching us and teachers how to teach collaboration and the necessary group and social skills needed to survive in a work environment, but we should and are capable of knowing how to work together and relay information to one to another without a problem, some may say it is to engage students but quite frankly if it seems childish we're most likely not going to want to be engaging in said activity. As an active member in my school district and administrative center i am often heard by the superintendent of our district and they listen to what I have to say, and they take my opinion into consideration. Honestly I believe kagan is more of a "K-8" program and dosn't belong in high school where we should have already mastered the nessecary skills in which to work together. Thank you for the reply Christi. I'm sorry that you may disagree with what I have said but this is mine and my school's opinion. Thanks and have a nice day. -Dorian

Christi Brown

Post by Christi Brown » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:06 am

Good morning, Dorian~
Actually, I agree with all of your reasons for using Kagan (i.e. cooperative skills, social skills, workplace skills, and communication skills). Perhaps all of these skills you already demonstrate every day. Perhaps you are the exception, as proven by your dedication to your school and district.

I also agree that it is absolutely "ok" to disagree. Teachers, administrators, and district supervisors appreciate the academic achievement the research shows, and the brain science that shows why Kagan is successful. We all have different backgrounds and see things differently based on those experiences.

There are many articles, all FREE, on this website by Dr. Spencer Kagan. There are also articles for "Research and Rationale" that might help answer concerns or questions. I suggest the article titled "The Instructional Revolution" by Dr. Spencer Kagan, to understand the big picture of our vision for education that might expand beyond the walls of one person's high school experience.

Again, congratulations on your own high school experience. It sounds like you belong to many successful organizations and groups. Thank you for sharing your perspective and experience.
All the Best,
~Christi
christi@kaganonline.com

Sarah Ziebell

Post by Sarah Ziebell » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:27 am

I am glad to see that you are taking an active role in your education. Teaching workplace and collaboration skills is just one piece of Cooperative Learning. Another key factor is brain friendly instruction. Structures are designed to engage students and align teaching with how brain best learns. Essentially, when students are taught in ways the brain best learns, they retain more information and understand the information better. I most commonly teach adults, and I use these same structures because brain friendly teaching is important for all levels of learners.

I appreciate your openness and wish you the best of luck in the future!

Sarah

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:07 am

Dorian-
I wish all HS students would be as passionate and take such an active lead in their education. Kudos! You are going to go far in life.
Regarding your post and question, my only thought I would like to add- in addition to the ones given- is that structures are tools. The key for any teacher/educator is to make sure they are picking the best tool and using it at the readiness/difficulty level of the students in that room.
Just a thought. Best wishes for the future.

Jackie Minor

Post by Jackie Minor » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Dorian,
I just wanted to add one more tidbit to this conversation! I can understand your perspective. Using the structures at the HS level when you haven't done that before feels very awkward. For me, as I reflect back on my HS years, I had good social skills AND I made good grades. But, I often found my classes boring. It was hard to pay attention and I hated taking tons of notes! The structures provide an alternative to that traditional method. If my teachers would have used them frequently, I could have been "engaged" with the content instead of falling and sleep and then having to memorize everything! I am also very social so I know I would have liked school more had I been able to socialize with my peers - about the content! The structures are great for building social skills but they are so much more. It is about helping us all learn better like Sarah said. In addition, I wished I could agree with you that HS students have the social skills they need. But, unfortunately we all know many adults in the work place that still don't have those social skills. And, even if we do have them, we can always get better. I know this probably won't change your mind but I just had to share my thoughts! Take care!

Jackie

dorian.the1st

Post by dorian.the1st » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Jacky-

Im sorry to say you havnt changed my mind. But you have brought some wondering questions into my mind. The adults that don't have the social skills, shouldn't they be reevaluated for their job?, isn't that one of the things an employer looks for in a would be employee? , wouldn't the employer know to look for those social skills so he/she would know whether that person would be able to work cognitavly together with the rest of the work force? Those are the questions that come to mind when you say we all need kagan. I am sorry that we have to disagree. Oh and another thing. Teachers try to do kagan that is related to the subject but if its a question asked many of the kids are going to turn the "smart" kid in the group so they really arnt learning anything if they just say what the "smart" kid says.

Wishing you well-
Dorian

rachel.treaster

Post by rachel.treaster » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Dorian,
So much has been said, but I can't help but think about an article Dr. Kagan shared with us. Please feel free to read this article "At M.I.T., Large Lectures Are Going the Way of the Blackboard" It can be found at
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/13/us/13physics.html?em

krisosthoff

Post by krisosthoff » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:36 am

Hi Dorian,
Lots of great points have been made, and it made me think of another article Dr. Kagan share with us. I think you would enjoy. Please check it out:
http://harvardmagazine.com/2012/03/twil ... cle-images
All the best,
Kris
KrisO@kaganonline.com

dorian.the1st

Post by dorian.the1st » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:15 am

Thank You Rachel and Kris for your posts. I read the articles and have come to a consensus that as we go through school; starting at kindergarden to being a junior in high school we evolve and become mature and blossom into our selves, into our body's, our maturity, our personality, and everything that defines us as a single being. However when you start going to the end of your Junior year you start to devolve and become more care-free, more reckless, less responsible, and less aware of whats going on around you. You start to live in the moment instead of being the careful planner. Starting to make spontaneous decisions rather than careful ones. This lasts through collage until you really truly are out of school and having to finally go and pursue the career or that certain job. I'm not saying that my statement or hypothesis if you will, is true for everyone. Not by a long shot. The thing is you become more impressionable as you mature into true adult hood and you lose sight of those goals you wanted to achieve. Kagan can't help with these issues. Only the person who has these issues can ultimately make the decisions for change. They cant be forced into doing something they don't enjoy and don't want to do.

Thank You for listening and following my posts.
~Dorian