Using Cooperative L-ing with iPads

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
hapaluv

Using Cooperative L-ing with iPads

Post by hapaluv » Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 am

Hi all!
I am teaching in a new and high technological environment that has gone paperless. I am looking for teaching ideas, articles and workshops that uses CL with iPads. I am teaching university level ESL, but all ideas and suggestions are welcome!
Thank you for your help!

Jeff Dane

Re: Using Cooperative L-ing with iPads

Post by Jeff Dane » Thu May 31, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks for your post. A simple suggestion to get started would be to have the students frequently verbally process the objectives at the beginning of class, status during the class, and as a wrap to their class period. Verbalization increase internalization, and this is also very beneficial for both the productive and receptive modes of language acquisition for your ESL learners. Simple structures such as Timed Pair Share, RallyRobin, and RoundRobin can be used during these times. Good luck. Thanks

Jackie Minor

Post by Jackie Minor » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Jeff had some great ideas. The only thing I might add is just see the IPAD as a worksheet. So, they can pass it back and forth while doing RallyCoach, or take turns doing different tasks on the IPAD just like they would a sheet of paper. Good luck! You are in new territory!

Jackie

melissasw

Post by melissasw » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:56 pm

I concur with Jackie. I have seen teachers use laptops with RallyCoach. I have also observed teachers use RallyCoach with their Smartboards. As far as IPads, like Jackie said imagine it as the worksheet. I have observed teachers using IPads with RallyTable, MatchMine, and Simultaneous RoundTable, and AllWrite RoundRobin. Good Luck. Let us know what you try and what works for you.