Management-Level of Participation & noise level

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Principal-250

Management-Level of Participation & noise level

Post by Principal-250 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 am

Just visited a classroom while the students were engaged in Showdown. The level of engagement was high, 28 out of 30 students. However, the noise level was very loud. Any suggestions on sharing with the teacher?

rachel.treaster

Re: Management-Level of Participation & noise level

Post by rachel.treaster » Tue May 01, 2012 10:56 am

It is exciting that the students were engaged in Showdown during your visit to their classroom! Noise level is something that can be improved upon during the implementation of a structure. One way to do this is to remind the students the only people that need to be able to hear them during the structure are their teammates. We know that some students talk louder than other students, and they may need to vary that volume level. To help support the teacher and students, I would start by having the teacher stop the class, using their quiet signal and use, as needed, the 5 tools for Social Skills. Here are just a few suggestions:
-The teacher may choose to give a student in the team the role of the "Quiet Captain." Also giving the "Quiet Captain" gambits, what students can say or do to fulfill this role, may be helpful. For instance, "We're getting too noisy. Let's use our team voices."
-Another tool to assist the class in using an appropriate noise level is to model the expected behavior. Either the teacher and/or students can model this for the class. When the class is implementing the desired behavior, frequent and immediate positive reinforcement is needed.

More specific information on all 5 Social Skill Tools can be found in Chapter 11 of Dr. Kagan's Cooperative Learning book. Teachers are also provided this information in the Day 3 Cooperative Learning training. I hope this is helpful! Enjoy! Rachel

Principal-250

Post by Principal-250 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:33 am

rachel.treaster wrote:
> It is exciting that the students were engaged in Showdown during your visit
> to their classroom! Noise level is something that can be improved upon
> during the implementation of a structure. One way to do this is to remind
> the students the only people that need to be able to hear them during the
> structure are their teammates. We know that some students talk louder than
> other students, and they may need to vary that volume level. To help
> support the teacher and students, I would start by having the teacher stop
> the class, using their quiet signal and use, as needed, the 5 tools for
> Social Skills. Here are just a few suggestions:
> -The teacher may choose to give a student in the team the role of
> the "Quiet Captain." Also giving the "Quiet Captain"
> gambits, what students can say or do to fulfill this role, may be helpful.
> For instance, "We're getting too noisy. Let's use our team
> voices."
> -Another tool to assist the class in using an appropriate noise
> level is to model the expected behavior. Either the teacher and/or
> students can model this for the class. When the class is implementing the
> desired behavior, frequent and immediate positive reinforcement is needed.
>
> More specific information on all 5 Social Skill Tools can be found in
> Chapter 11 of Dr. Kagan's Cooperative Learning book. Teachers are also
> provided this information in the Day 3 Cooperative Learning training. I
> hope this is helpful! Enjoy! Rachel

Thank you for the tips! I can't wait to meet with the teacher. :)

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Mon May 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Another idea, in addition to Rachel's awesome ones....

What I noticed as a teacher and administrator is- when we say team voice/ partner voice students aren't always clear what that level means. Again- like Rachel said MODEL. Have the teacher model with a student- then have students turn to a partner and immediately practice after the teacher model. Then have the teacher reinforce what she likes from the student practice. Secondly, during louder activities, sometimes I would play music at 60 beats per minute. I would play it at the loudest level that I wanted the student voices to be. Then all I had to say was, "Can you hear the music?" The students would immediately lower their volume. Over time, they naturally started talking at the appropriate level, and/or would better regulate when they got too loud. Best Wishes!