Flashcard Star

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
knorman

Flashcard Star

Post by knorman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:23 am

I have a question about this structure's steps. I learned this in the Accelerating Achievement workshop that was given in February in Las Vegas. On step 5, it states that if the partner does not state an answer correctly that the "quizzing" Partner should state the correct answer and provide a coaching tip. I just wanted to clarify that this was the order for this which is a little different from the procedure in some other structures such as Quiz Quiz Trade where the "quizzing" Partner tips first, then reteaches and then asks again.

Sarah Ziebell

Re: Flashcard Star

Post by Sarah Ziebell » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:47 am

I love your attention to detail! In Flashcard Star, if partner who is answering misses the answer, the quizzing partner takes on the role of the coach. To help support students and building consistency, use the procedure of the 4T's (tip, tip, teach, try again). If at any point in time they need to coach, they do not star their flashcard, but just put it back in the stack.

I am excited that you are starting this structure! Good Luck!

Sarah

Jeff Dane

Re: Flashcard Star

Post by Jeff Dane » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:06 pm

We know the importance of having the students "try again". Verbalization increases internalization, thus the reason for having the students always finish by stating the correct answer. Whether one tip, two tips, or teaching is given having the students respond again will promote recency of retention. Hope this helps. Thanks, and good luck.