Where do I start implementing Kagan in my classroom

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
frutte

Where do I start implementing Kagan in my classroom

Post by frutte » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi I am a teacher in Singapore, teaching ICT.

I am wondering how do I start implementing Kagan co operative learning in my classroom to increase student's engagement? I been to one of the workshop and am sold on the idea of co-operative learning, but am unsure how to I implement this in my classroom.

Is there any jumpstart on how do new teachers implement Kagan Learning strategies into the classroom?

Thank you.

Yujin

Jeff Dane

Re: Where do I start implementing Kagan in my classroom

Post by Jeff Dane » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:55 am

Yujin,
Thanks for the post. We just returned from Singapore last week and it is always exciting to hear from teachers from all over the world. I would recommend that you begin slowly to keep the balance between novelty and predictability. My suggestion would be to form heterogeneous teams, and begin with Timed Pair Share, RallyRobin, and RoundRobin. Along with that, be sure and occasionally get the students up doing Classbuilders. When you and the students are both comfortable in using these structures, you can then begin to add new ones. Great to hear from you. Thanks

frutte

Post by frutte » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Thank you.

I just tried implementing the rallyrobin in my class, and am pleased to note that many students are communicating with their weaker peers. I am now able to involve the weaker students in learning where they were "zoned out" before. Amazing what Rally robin can do! I will be slowly implementing Round Robin this week, and encourage class to talk to their peers. Hopefully I can engage the class more, and encourage the students to stand on the same side. It is slow going with a bit of odds (some students refused to participated as they lack confidence or are not paying attention) and miss (some answers were wrong, but it is better than not communicating or trying), but we are all learning and improving bit by bits.

I have ordered the books and am eagerly awaiting the books to be shipped to me, where I can try other structures as needed, or engage in team buidling skills. Hopefully I can show some results to the principal who will then be sold on Kagan techniques.

Yujin.
ICT teacher, Singapore.
P.S. I hope to purchase the Kagan software next month to help my students do better in classes. ;) Thanks once again for sharing Kagan structures - by implementing these structures class participation has improved a lot in just a few lessons.. at least the poor students have a buddy to help them take notes.

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:01 pm

Yujin-
What an inspiration you are to teachers around the world! I am proud that you are implementing and beginning to see success with the use of Rally Robin. Keep up the great work! Remember, as you begin implementing, don't forget a crucial piece is to do Teambuilding and Classbuilding. In order for students to feel comfortable sharing content with one another- they need to need to know that their partner/team cares about them and wants them to be successful with learning. Chapter 9 and 10 in your Cooperative Learning book can give you some good research and structure ideas. Best Wishes! I look forward to hearing more of your posts and the successes you are having in your class!