How do you use Kagan in Elementary Art grades K-5

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
mrt

How do you use Kagan in Elementary Art grades K-5

Post by mrt » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:59 pm

I am attempting to use Kagan engagement strategies in Elementary Art grades K-5. My classes meet once weekly for 50 minutes. If you have any suggestions or have any success stories to share, I would love to hear from you.

Christi Brown

Re: How do you use Kagan in Elementary Art grades K-5

Post by Christi Brown » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:13 pm

As a music teacher, I had a similar schedule - once a week for 50 minutes. However, no matter the amount of time they were with me, there was always something I wanted them to learn, or remember. What do you want them to verbalize about art? In music, we had a saying, "If you can say it, you can play it." Well, if they talk about their drawing, pottery, or origami project - they are remembering/learning/processing art content. Could you lead students in a TimedPairShare structure at the end of class about what they created in art or learned today? Another idea, perhaps after multiple trips to the art room, they have a finished product to share with a team (RoundRobin). RallyTable has 2 students taking turns, in-the-moment, adding/drawing/building something together for a completed product. Very cool!
Try one structure - and check out the "Presenting Information" column on page 6.24 in the CL textbook to choose a structure of HOW they will share their art project!
Congrats on getting starting! Stay with it - it works! The music vocabulary became a natural language for all my students! All the Best, ~Christi Brown

mrt

Post by mrt » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:46 am

Christi Brown wrote:
> As a music teacher, I had a similar schedule - once a week for 50 minutes.
> However, no matter the amount of time they were with me, there was always
> something I wanted them to learn, or remember. What do you want them to
> verbalize about art? In music, we had a saying, "If you can say it,
> you can play it." Well, if they talk about their drawing, pottery, or
> origami project - they are remembering/learning/processing art content.
> Could you lead students in a TimedPairShare structure at the end of class
> about what they created in art or learned today? Another idea, perhaps
> after multiple trips to the art room, they have a finished product to share
> with a team (RoundRobin). RallyTable has 2 students taking turns,
> in-the-moment, adding/drawing/building something together for a completed
> product. Very cool!
> Try one structure - and check out the "Presenting Information"
> column on page 6.24 in the CL textbook to choose a structure of HOW they
> will share their art project!
> Congrats on getting starting! Stay with it - it works! The music
> vocabulary became a natural language for all my students! All the Best,
> ~Christi Brown
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your suggestions.

melissasw

Post by melissasw » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:42 pm

To build off of Christi's ideas let me share some ways I have seen art teachers use structures in their classrooms. Choose 2 artists and use RallyTable with shoulder partners to compare their techniques, materials used to create the artwork, emotions emitted by the artwork, etc. then do a Pairs with their face partners. Also I have seen an art teacher place a piece of artwork in the center of each table and then she had the students do a Timed RoundRobin about what they liked about the piece of artwork and why they liked it. She also did a Continuous RoundRobin with the tools, techniques, and materials the artist might have used to create the piece of art. She also had picture cards of paintings and she used them for Quiz, Quiz, Trade and the student had to name the artist or artistic period.
One other thing that helped our special area teachers was that each grade level decided on 3 structures that the students had to master in that grade level so when a specific grade went to specials the special area teacher could look at the list that of grade level structures and choose from that list because she didn't have time to teach a new structure and get through her content. She also had them sit with the same team that they sat with in their class because the homeroom teacher had already worked out all the issues and separated any issues among the students.

mrt

Post by mrt » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:49 am

Melissa, thank you for sharing what you have seen.

Sarah Ziebell

Post by Sarah Ziebell » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:23 pm

I love all the great ideas that have been shared of how teachers have been using structures in art! I wanted to add a couple ideas I have seen as well. Recently, I saw an elementary art school teacher use Numbered Heads Together as a review to open her lesson on color gradation. As frequently happens when you see students once a week, because of holidays, she had missed this group the week before and was trying to review information from two weeks ago. It was quick and effective, and I was impressed with the level of discussion these first graders were using to reach consensus! I was also in an art class using Jot Thoughts to brainstorm different supplies they used in their art class. Then as a follow up, they sorted the supplies into a large Venn Diagram based on what style of projects they would be used in (ex. painting, sculptures). I hope these ideas help and keep them coming! It is exciting to see this bank of ideas keep building.