PIES

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
cfortini

PIES

Post by cfortini » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:52 am

During a discussion with staff members recently I was told that 'You have to change some of the structures so that they fit our kids.' I strongly argued this can't be done because it would disrupt the PIES principles. Their response was that the last Kagan inservice they attended, the structures had changed so what was wrong with them changing things. It was like hitting my head against a brick wall. Has anyone got a foolproof response that I can use?

Tom Searl

Re: PIES

Post by Tom Searl » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Not sure this is 'foolproof', but I'll try to help.

Umbrella statement: The steps of the structures should stay the same. What 'changes', from room to room, is how the structure is 'managed' and what 'type(s)' of questions are used. You may want to start your conversation with those 2 items. Sometimes there may be a mismatch between the teacher objective and the structure used to match the objective. If you need help with finding the right structure, please refer to Ch. 6, page 24 in your CL textbook.

I'm also wondering which structure(s), according to your colleague, were 'changed' and how it was changed. You may also want to go through a PIES analysis to see if PIES was compromised. If so, then the activity becomes group work.

Start there and see where your conversation leads you. Post again, if you need more support!
Hope this helps,
Tom

cfortini

Post by cfortini » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks Tom that's a great help. I'll see what transpires.

Wendy Burke

Post by Wendy Burke » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:14 pm

I think how I might approach it is:
The more we know on the Brain, and how students best learn, Dr. Kagan is always evolving the structures to make sure that optimal engagement and learning are happening. Prime example, Numbered Heads Together. When it was first written, the structure did not have students do a solo write- nor did it have them erase their boards. Since this structure was designed- Dr Kagan realized Individual Accountability was being compromised since students did not do their solo write. Furthermore, it is stronger for the brain to have to reproduce and rewrite a response- versus simply hold-up team answer and parrot response. So, the structures are not simply changing without reason...they are evolving the more we know on the brain and good instruction.
PIES has always been the non-negotiable. If teachers "tweak" the structures to add a management tip, etc....PIES still needs to be in place. If not- the activity was being done as group-work. Perhaps going back to the CL book and re-reading the chapter on PIES and WHY Cl- might be helpful.

Best Wishes!
Wendy

cfortini

Post by cfortini » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:55 am

Thanks Wendy for such a thoughtful response. I'll certainly go back & reread those chapters.