Use of Music

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Sun Wanted

Use of Music

Post by Sun Wanted » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:04 pm

Hello. I just returned from your workshop at NSDC in Atlanta. I am trying to apply these principals to our administrative team meetings for a school district (to liven things up). I'm wondering if you could give me some ideas of music that would be great for transitions and breaks to keep things social and fun.

Thanks in advance for the ideas! We have a group of admins that sit, don't participate, and we are trying to change that!

Wendy Burke

Re: Use of Music

Post by Wendy Burke » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:38 am

Love this!!! In our trainings, here are the tips that we give....

Mixing, Silly Sports, Energizers, Entering a meeting/room, Exiting- play music at 120bpm. Kagan has some great 60's and 70's CD's! Disco also works really well.

During solo reflection...journals, evals, solo worksheets- play music at 60bpm. We use Gary Lamb and Mozart in our trainings.

Hope this helps. Best wishes!!

Jackie Minor

Post by Jackie Minor » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:46 am

If you really want to get administrators involved in meetings, you should come to our Cooperative Meetings training in Orlando this summer! It is an awesome two days of learning how to engage adults in community building, professional dialogue, staff development, consensus building and decision making. We use music too! :)

Jackie

Sun Wanted

Post by Sun Wanted » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:17 pm

I will have to look into the Orlando training. Sounds perfect!

Christi Brown

Post by Christi Brown » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:34 am

Music is a great management tool!
Two things come to mind in regards to music in the classroom.
1. Listen for the volume of the music. For example, during solo work, I gradually increase and then decrease the music for a smooth effect of helping students begin focus, and then gently bringing them out of the solo time. (Avoiding the abrupt start and stop)
2. NEVER play music when students are processing or talking to one another. For example, and especially during structures, where students are engaged in the content with one another, there should NOT be ANY music (even the quiet kind) playing in the background.
Upbeat music has a specific place - managing the movement during the "mix" part, or to start or stop a game, for example.