Kindergarten ideas

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
kennedp

Kindergarten ideas

Post by kennedp » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:03 am

I attended my first Kagan Workshop 3 weeks ago and I have begun to use Brain-Friendly instruction in my class. The children are loving it and seem much more engaged. I am taking " baby-steps" with this and I am looking for other K teachers who use Kagan. I also purchased Win-Win discipline and I am reading it slowly in all of my spare time. It has some great ideas, but I would love to go to a workshop on it. Kagan workshops are the best!(':D')

angelapink

Kinder

Post by angelapink » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:15 am

I'm so glad you are trying these strategies with your students. I taught first grade for 6 years and loved how structures engaged my students. They are constantly moving, and so structures allowed me to give them the movement they needed. Some of my favorite structures I used with my little ones were Stand-up, Hand-up, Pair up, Quiz-Quiz-Trade, and RoundRobin. I wish you continued success!

shella

Post by shella » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:28 pm

I teach Kindergarten and use the above mentioned structures all the time.
Other structures I use are: Find Someone Who, Fan N Pick, and Inside Outside Circle (Which takes alot of practice but ends up being a favorite)

rodney_phillips

Kagan Implementation & Theory

Post by rodney_phillips » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:19 am

Make teaching and learning more fun and successful with Kagan Structures for Success! This SmartCard includes 28 illustrated Kagan structures to make cooperative learning a success in your classroom. Also featured in this classroom-friendly resource are responses to 8 frequently asked questions on cooperative learning.

http://www.coachjudynelson.com [/url][/code]

mkrank

Kagan in Kindergarten

Post by mkrank » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Our whole school is being trained in Kagan this year, so I am slowly trying out some structures in my kindergarten class. So far, we've done Mix-Pair-Share, Rally Robin, Find Someone Who, Quiz-Quiz-Trade, and Timed Pair Share. We often do mix-pair-share as part of our Morning Meeting, as a way to greet one another or as a way to share about our weekend. Moving around the room is always a struggle for my kids, and I've found that we can't do it too frequently or they get off task quickly.

I would love to hear others' ideas about what they have used the structures for -- mostly social development? what academic skills? How does inside-outside circle work with K? I'm not very familiar with that one.

Also, if anyone ever hears of a Kagan workshop for early elementary, I would be very interested in attending!!

Christi Brown

Post by Christi Brown » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:49 am

Michele,

Our Disney Summer Academy is hosting a 2-day CL for Primary. Check out the website and click on Summer Academy, Orlando, FL! Hope to see you there!
~Christi Brown

ideas101

HI

Post by ideas101 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:48 am

Great post!!! looking forward on sharing my expertise and learning new ideas here at the same time..i'll see you around guys...

Kindyelf

Ways to incorporate Kagan Structures with daily lessons?

Post by Kindyelf » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:06 pm

To Christi Brown, I have used my ZooPhonics cards for quiz, quiz, trade with my kinders. I have also used numbers. But I am still looking for ways to incorporate my daily lessons with a structure. If they could read, it would be a whole lot easier. Any suggestions?
:?

Christi Brown

Kinder structures

Post by Christi Brown » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:49 am

If reading questions is an issue at this point - teach with some verbal structures like: Timed Pair Share, Rally Robin, RoundRobin (and there are multiple variations), StandUp HandUp PairUp, or Mix Pair Share. All of these provide opportunities for students to talk through their answers. Just follow the steps to one structure.

Also, use RallyCoach during math - "complete the pattern," or "find the next number in sequence" - and with one worksheet per pair, students take turns talking out the answer before recording it on the paper. This is great for practice (after the skill has been taught).

During carpet time - I taught kinders how to "sit facing me," and "turn face your parnter." Depending on the type of question, they could talk using RallyRobin or Timed Pair Share. Could they RallyRobin calendar counting? Or if listening to a story, could they share their answer with a partner? As opposed to calling on one kid all the time?
Just some thoughts.

Have fun and good luck!
~Christi

HensyJoHun

Translator for forum.

Post by HensyJoHun » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Hello Guys. Is there a good intrenet translator for translating this forum in Swedish? I would show It to some people which don't speak english.

Gavin

Re: Kindergarten ideas

Post by Gavin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:33 am

In the UK Kagan is really taking off... particularly in Early Years (Foundation Stage). I have worked with many teachers who successfully implement 'paired talking' structures such as RallyRobin and Timed Pair Share. These structures are often combined, with patient training and modelling of course, with Classbuilding structures such as Corners, Sides, Line ups and Mix-Pair-Share. Even in classrooms that are wholly 'child initiated' I have observed structures such as; RallyCoach, RoundRobin and Paraphrase Passport, the teacher does not have to break the flow of the children's interest but by skillfully introducing the right structure at the right time can direct the play to include them. Because of the embedded PIES principles in the structures, we do not end up with 'Hogs' dominating and 'Logs' taking a free ride, best of all social skills are worked on and most importantly.. acquired!
Gavin :-)
http://www.T2TUK.co.uk
http://www.Kagan-UK.co.uk

ldybowlr

Need Help Starting Up Kindergarten

Post by ldybowlr » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:33 pm

I would like some teachers to please share their best strategies to begin the year with Kagan in a Kindergarten class. I will be returning to a classroom setting in August after being in a curriculum role at my school and would like to know the best ways to start up the year. I have attended a Kagan cooperative learning workshop so I have the basics. The training was focused on K-5 but I need specific suggestions for kinders. Thanks all!

melissasw

Post by melissasw » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Having taught kindergarten for numerous years my best advice is to start slow. Here was my yearly game plan for implementing Kagan.
1. Solidify your quiet signal, making sure you wait until all are quiet, materials are down, and eyes are on you. I didn't count but must have done it 15 times a day at the beginning.
2. Get them to know their face partner and shoulder partner - greet them each morning with a high 5 or other cheer greeting. Did the same with knowing their number.
3. Have students come to the carpet in their teams-ensures that safety factor is always present-you will need to guide them to where they need to sit at the beginning but they'll get the hang of it quickly.
4. First structure - RallyRobin-fun things-"favorites"-cereals,cartoons, ice cream,snacks, etc. I always use some kind of "talking ball"-koosh ball, relaxation ball,etc. so that way the person holding the ball is the talker and their partner is the listener. To ensure active listening I always randomly call on a few and ask one thing their partner said. At the beginning....they won't remember but don't let them off the hook-tell them to ask them again and you will come back to them. I used RallyRobin a lot because there is higher student engagement and kindergartners aren't very patient at the beginning.
It is a very versatile structure-used it for phonemic awareness-beginning sounds, rhyming words. Used it after I read a story to RallyRobin the characters or I read up to the problem and they would RallyRobin ways to help the character solve the problem. In math, we would RallyRobin things that were a specific shape. We might go for a shape walk around the school before this. We would RallyRobin counting. In Social Studies, we would RallyRobin what characteristics made a good citizen, a good friend. In science, we would RallyRobin all the non-living, then living things we could think of, or animals that lived in different habitats.
5. Next, I would slowly introduce RoundRobin, Stand Up, Hand Up, Pair Up, Timed RoundRobin(used this for show and tell), Timed Pair Share (not more than 10-15 seconds to begin with), Mixed Pair Share, Mix Freeze Group (great for syllables, counting sounds, addition, subtraction), Numbered Heads Together, and Rally Coach.
6. During Literacy Centers I would introduce RallyCoach, MatchMine, Simultaneous Round Table, Fan-N-Pick, Showdown and then they would be used as independent centers.
If you want anything more specific, please e-mail me directly. I'd be more than happy to help make Kagan successful in your kindergarten classroom.

ldybowlr

Post by ldybowlr » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:45 pm

Melissa, Thanks for all of your ideas. I appreciate the timeline. We have a staggered enrollment for K during the first week of school where just a small number of K students come each day and everyone on the last day. I had planned on introducing the quite signal because of such small numbers. But I think I can also introduce the concept of face/shoulder partners during that time too. The following week I can address more specifics. Gambits, cheers, etc... How did you begin to group your K children. I know at my former school, teacher grouped students based on literacy. How do you begin this with Ks? I looked for your email so I could send you a message directly but didn't see it. Could you send me it so I can ask more specific questions as I begin to plan out my year? Thank-you. Caryl

Caryl_VanFleet@abss.k12.nc.us

Christi Brown

Post by Christi Brown » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Great idea for kinder!!!
Saw a teacher using the structure Match Mine structure with a barrier between the face partners. One side had a picture of an open mouth, the "sender of directions," and the other a picture of an ear, the "receiver of directions."

In all my years as a primary teacher and a trainer of the CL for Primary course, I continue to learn and see such great ideas to help manage and teach structures to kids!
Keep the ideas coming! Thanks everyone!
Christi