Kagan structures and technology?

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Amycma

Kagan structures and technology?

Post by Amycma » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:45 am

Hi. I attended the Kagan training in July. I've been focused on looking at existing activities or lessons and putting Kagan into them.

My students love technology and any opportunity to use the computer. I already had a host of web games that relate to just about any topic we are working on. Also. our district implimented a weekly reading test that includes grammar skills and these web games provide a fun way to review... but I wanted to find a way to structure it with Kagan to keep it productive.

I couldn't find an existing structure that included the use of comptuers so I applied PIES and came up with an activity I call "Hot Seat"
1. Student 1 sits at the computer and completes one step of the on-line activity
2. Student 2 stands behind and coaches
3. Students 3 and 4 watch and praise
4. When one step is complete the student in the "Hot Seat" gets up and recieves his/her praise then goes to the end of the line.
5. The coach then sits down in the "Hot Seat", the 1st praiser becomes the new coach and so on.
6. The team continues to rotate after each step until they have completed the task or game.

My question is...
Is this an existing structure, and if so where can I find details to make sure I have set it up correctly.

and if not... are there any problems you see or PIES that are missing?

Thanks,
Amy

Christi Brown

Post by Christi Brown » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:36 pm

Amy,
How exciting to have structure in technology! Congratulations!

In reading your post, it reminds me of the structure Fan-N-Pick, but instead of "cards" being passed around the team, the students are taking turns at the computer.

Another structure idea might be, if you have enough computers for students to share, or work in pairs: RallyCoach, or even Sage-n-Scribe. It increases the engagement to 50% in the class, and students have more opportunities to verbalize the content, or verbalize the correct computer skills necessary to complete the task.
Sounds like you are off to a great start! Would love to hear other ideas from your class and how it's going! :D
~Christi

tmiller4

Post by tmiller4 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:12 pm

this is great for technology! I am a 4th grade EMints teacher and we have a computer for every 2 students in our room and I was wondering on how to incorporate the computers effectively! Share more!

afunderburk

technology

Post by afunderburk » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:52 am

I teach at a tech. magnet school so we have to use technology every hour. I believe that you can use every structure with technology. If it requires a slate or paper then use a wordprocessing program. Telephone=iChat.
Numbered Heads Together=Smartboard. I have been looking at how I can use iPods and Nanos with some of the structures. Love your "HOt Seat".

kedavis

Post by kedavis » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:33 am

I was also at a training in July. I love the idea of Hot Seat, I will have to try that one myself. I did an activity the first day of school with students completing a scavenger hunt about my website. I used Round Table or Rally Table (dependent upon the size of my class and the number of computers available). However was the one with the paper was also the one that used to computer which was great for Rally Table. I think though with groups of 3-4 students your Hot Seat idea would work better. Thanks so much for sharing

tmiller4

Post by tmiller4 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:39 pm

kedavis I think we were at the same training! :)

What grade/subject do you teach?

I teach 4th grade science!

It is an E-mints classroom and it is my first year!

kedavis

Post by kedavis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:01 am

We probably were at the same training up at NWMO? with Laurie?

I teach 6-8 communication arts

kdavis99

Re: Kagan structures and technology?

Post by kdavis99 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:32 am

I was just looking back for ideas (kedavis is me lol but I changed schools and therefore school e-mails) and I'm still using the Rally/Round Table with my kids but I'm thinking of calling it by a different name when we use the computer. They know Robin means talking, Table means writing, I'm thinking of Tech as in Rally Tech or Round Tech to mean typing on the computer, iPad, Neo, etc.. The rules will be basically the same in taking turns just a different name for a different meaning.

melissasw

Re: Kagan structures and technology?

Post by melissasw » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi Amy,
You're awesome!! Not sure which training you took in July but the fact that you are analyzing what you are doing with PIES is a great way to know if you're doing cooperative learning vs. group work. I too love technology and know that it's a tool that our students are familiar with and is part of their daily life so capitalizing on that in your classroom, I applaud you!! Now, what structure can we work into your content using technology. Rally Coach is a great structure....so instead of a team, just have pairs. Partner A explains how they are going to solve the problem to Partner B. If Partner B agrees, then Partner A keys in the answer. If it's a multi-step problem, they can solve and input one step at a time. RallyCoach will increase your engagement to 50%. What you were describing is Round Table, but instead of 1 paper/1pencil per team it's one computer.
Also check out our new Teambuilding Questions App that I have seen teachers use with Fan-n-Pick. I have also seen teachers use Simultaneous RoundTable. The teacher set up 4 computers with different brainstorming topics. Instead of passing the paper/computer, students stood and rotated to next computer.
Kagan has a iPad with structures 2 Day training that is offered at our Summer Academy in Orlando that you might want to check out.