Implementation

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
CoachWard

Implementation

Post by CoachWard » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:32 am

Hello from Clintondale High School,

I am looking for some phrases to use that would encourage standoffish students to embrace the structures. Finn was excellent with his theory and rational for why this is the way to go. I wish I was wise enough to jot them down during the training.

The structures are redefining my practices after 27 years in the classroom. Game, changer! Will be blogging next week about some of my successes! Check it out, template4success.com.

Thanks,

Mike

Elia Chesnoff

Re: Implementation

Post by Elia Chesnoff » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi Mike,

I am a High School English Teacher turned Kagan Trainer. I'm excited to hear that you have embraced structures. They have been a game changer for me as well. Chapter 1 in your Kagan textbook contains the answers to some frequently asked questions. You may find it help to peruse through that chapter. Also, Chapter 16 is called "Motivation without punishment or rewards". I found this chapter to be particularly useful for High School. If given the choice to do the work in a structure format or solo, most students will prefer to be social. Some will not. For resistance, it is important to understand the underlying reason for the resistance and try to address that first. This could be different for every student. If I were to do some trouble shooting, I would say focus on Classbuilding and Teambuilding. Ask high interest questions that you think your students will expressing their thoughts on.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about the successes you will have.

-Elia