Classbuilding to start the year

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
pintsizelukey

Classbuilding to start the year

Post by pintsizelukey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:08 am

Does anyone have any ideas for classbuilding structures and activities that work well to start off a new school year? I teach grade 5.

Tom Searl

Re: Classbuilding to start the year

Post by Tom Searl » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:31 am

Hello and thanks for your question!

In our Day 1 Cooperative Learning training we have a great Classbuilding structure called Mix Pair Share. In teaching fifth grade for a number of years, I found students love this structure because they get out of their seats, mix independently around the room, and then talk with a random partner. (Remember to use either RallyRobin or Times Pair Share when they are talking). I would have them mix a second time, find another person, & have them discuss a second fun topic. They would then thank their random partner and have a seat back at their desk.

This is one of many Classbuilding structures that are options for you. Take some time to look around our website as you may find other descriptions of other structures.

Your kids are lucky to have you as their teacher. Enjoy your school year and let us know if you need more support!

Tom

mellowd

Post by mellowd » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:13 am

Good morning.
The school yearbhas started and I am implementing Kagan Structures. It seemed easier at the workshop this summer but I realize it is going to take some work. Love the classbuilding ideas. I need some more Gambits to use with my kids during this time. Is there somewhere in the book that I can find them? Would appreciate if anyone can share some more with me please.

rickduvall

Post by rickduvall » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:58 pm

I am thrilled that you see the power of utilizing gambits to teach students responsible social skills. What type of gambits are your students needing? Praising gambits, greeting gambits, thanking gambits, clarifying gambits, parting gambits, etc.? The Kagan Communication Boosters SmartCard is my favorite go-to resource for quick ideas for a multitude of different types of gambits. You can find it on the website here under "Products". A lot of teachers also find the Talking Teamwork posters to be helpful in helping students internalize positive language gambits.