Kagan Structures in the Academic Library Setting

Questions about workshops, academies, tour events, conference, and graduate courses.
camaro85

Kagan Structures in the Academic Library Setting

Post by camaro85 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:59 am

I am a librarian at a university. I instruct students in the classroom on how to use the library's resources and databases. Typically this is given in a traditional format: I stand in front of the class at the computer and projection screen, I point out to students what they need to be aware of and they follow along with me on their computers. I do not see the same students and I have a different sets of student and classes each time I present. I have looked at the Kagan Cooperative Learning book. The active learning techniques i.e. structures sound like a great idea, but how can I make them work for me in my classroom setting?

Wendy Burke

Re: Kagan Structures in the Academic Library Setting

Post by Wendy Burke » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:29 am

Great question! I highly recommend that you attend either the: Cooperative Learning or Secondary Language Arts trainings. We walk you through the rationale and how and where to weave structures into your lectures/classes. The structures are great for increasing rigor and formative assessment. Hope to see you in a training soon. Until then, there is a great article online, called the Instructional Revolution, that Dr Kagan wrote to build rationale.

Marinrana

Re: Kagan Structures in the Academic Library Setting

Post by Marinrana » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:39 pm

It is very remarkable for this post. I have never read a good post this.