Higher-Level Thinking Skills Workshop

Questions about workshops, academies, tour events, conference, and graduate courses.
LisaCoalwell

Higher-Level Thinking Skills Workshop

Post by LisaCoalwell » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:42 am

This message is for a Kagan trainer:

I have used Kagan's cooperative-learning structures for years, and I am considering registering for the Higher-Level Thinking Skills workshop in late March in Fort Collins, Colorado.

Our district is using the Common Core standards, the Next Generation Science Standards, and Webb's Depth of Knowledge guide, and I wanted to see if the workshop will be aligned with those concepts. I need to show that the workshop will be something I can use!

Thank you!

Carol Lohkamp

Re: Higher-Level Thinking Skills Workshop

Post by Carol Lohkamp » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 pm

Absolutely!!
I just completed a Cooperative Learning Day 1 workshop at Weikel Elementary in Colorado Springs, and everyone was all a buzz about those very topics. We are currently in the process of creating a detailed listing of Common Core State Standards for every structure in every course -- including the Higher-Level Thinking Skills course. From the information included in your post, it seems like you are definitely ready to move forward with your training. Rock on, RockStar!!

rachel.treaster

Post by rachel.treaster » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:31 pm

Lisa, I'm so glad you've been using structures for years! This Thinking Skills workshop is amazing! It's another great way to learn structures with thinking skills as the main focus. I do believe you will find this workshop valuable as we do make links to common core and how we can develop multiple thinking skills for students through the use of these structures. For instance, we address the depth of knowledge with a great activity called Plotting Questions so students can analyze and evaluate to give much more detailed answers. I hope this helps answer your question! ;) Rachel

Bill Stater

Post by Bill Stater » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:51 am

Below is a link to an article written by Dr. Kagan about 15 fundamental types of thinking and their connections to Kagan Structures. These are discussed throughout the Higher-Level Thinking Skills workshop. You might want to show this article to your district leaders to help explain how this workshop aligns to the concepts you mentioned. Hope to see you there!

http://www.kaganonline.com/free_article ... ing-Skills