Time Investment

Questions or discussion about Kagan theory, research, or implementing Kagan in your classroom.
Elia Chesnoff

Time Investment

Post by Elia Chesnoff » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:48 pm

Sometimes when teachers are first introduced to Kagan Cooperative Learning, they share with me concerns about having enough time to use structures because they have so much content to cover. However, when we stop to think about it, we are managing time so much more efficiently. Let's take Quiz Quiz Trade for example. If each student takes a minute to answer a question being called on one at a time. In a class of 30, it would take 30 minutes for each student to answer 1 question. Where as in 6 minutes of Quiz Quiz Trade, each student according to the formula can answer 3 questions. Today while coaching, a middle school teacher shared that the students learn so much faster when he uses a structure. There is significantly less time reteaching. Not to mention the added benefit of the students learning the embedded social skills curriculum. One of the main reasons I took so strongly to Cooperative Learning is that I felt my limited time was valued and I was able to "work smarter, not harder."

Jackie Minor

Re: Time Investment

Post by Jackie Minor » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:05 pm

I am in total agreement with Elia!! In addition, I have found when the structures are new, it does take a little extra time to teach. However, if teachers will use the structures repeatedly until they become a routine, time is saved in the long run. Just stick with it!

Bill Stater

Re: Time Investment

Post by Bill Stater » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:40 am

I think this also holds true with investing time doing Classbuilding and Teambuilding. Even though it often takes a little time away from our curriculum to do CB/TB (albeit only a few minutes each week), we more than make up that time because students are much more willing to work together. We can minimize time spent bickering and awkwardness amongst peers.